In support of Bass

To the Editor:

In response to Jared Zelski '10's "The Case for Bass" and the Editorial Board endorsement, our community is fortunate to have a congressional race between two men of Dartmouth (Nov. 1). And so a word for the many students from around the country who will take advantage of New Hampshire's same-day voter registration: when you go to the polls, think of how your vote will affect not only New Hampshire, but also your family and friends in your homes away from Hanover. In Charlie Bass '74 you have a representative consistently ranked by national political journals as one of the most independent voices in Congress, and one who is unafraid to buck majorities on matters of importance and conscience (he led the fight for federal funding of stem cell research and the effort to oust Tom DeLay from Congress). Bass is universally recognized in Washington as a leader on energy policy, and has passed into law several critical incentives to spur the development of alternative fuels and reduce our dependence on foreign oil in the face of a looming national energy crisis.

In Paul Hodes '72 we have a candidate who has made it painstakingly clear that he is ready to march in lockstep with his party and add to the partisan rancor that has slowed legislative progress in Washington. His energy plan consists of unfunded mandates for states and claiming as his own provisions that were already passed into law in last year's Energy Policy Act.

Regardless of the outcome of the midterm election, the small majority either party will maintain will make moderate, centrist voices more important than ever in enacting significant legislative reforms that impact New Hampshire and the hometowns you departed for Hanover. I urge you to vote for Bass and his independent leadership and willingness to work across the aisle that this Congress so desperately needs.