Men's hockey wins twice in preseason competition

The Big Green men's hockey team cleaned up its preseason competition this past weekend, going two for two with victories over Canadian opponents the University of Prince Edward Island and the Universit du Quebc Trois Rivires.

In the first match against UPEI, Nick Johnson '08 had four points to help the team to an 8-1 victory. T.J. Galiardi '10 also had two assists in the win as 11 Big Green players recorded points.

Kevin Swallow '09 had the first goal for the Big Green, with J.T. Wyman '08 and Mike Hartwick '07 assisting. Then Johnson, from linemates Tanner Glass '07 and David Jones '08, put Dartmouth ahead 2-0.

Johnson scored Dartmouth's second and eighth goals of the game and assisted on two others.

Dartmouth jumped out to a 3-0 lead at the end of the first period on a shot from Wyman, with assists from Glass and Johnson.

In the second period, Connor Shields '09 notched a strike midway through the period with Jon Grecu '08 picking up his first of two assists. Jones and Johnson again came together to tally the final goal of the period.

UPEI finally got on the board four minutes into the final period, hurling the puck in over freshman goalie Joe Grossman '10. Undaunted, the boys in green continued their dominance, scoring three more to close out the period. Glass, Rob Pritchard '09 and Johnson tallied the final three goals, with assists going to Grecu, Galiardi and Grant Lewis '07.

Mike Devine '08 started the game in goal for the Big Green, tallying eight saves on the night, while Grossman picked up three. Dartmouth held the advantage in shots, 54-12, as UPEI managed only four shots on goal in the third period.

In the Big Green's second hockey match in as many days, Shields and Galiardi led the men's squad to its second preseason win, a 7-4 victory over the Universit du Quebc Trois Rivires.

Shields recorded a hat trick while Galiardi had one goal and two assists. Five players logged goals.

UQTR jumped on the scoreboard first, but the Big Green answered the Patriots with the next two goals as Shields and Jones put Dartmouth ahead 2-1. Wyman, Swallow and Lewis were all credited with assists.

UQTR pulled ahead by one with goals at 12:30 and 16:38 before Johnson tied the game at three-all going into the break. In the second, Shields picked up his second goal of the night at 8:38 with Swallow and Galiardi assisting on the power play goal. Trois Rivires struck at 10:32 before the Big Green scored back-to-back goals at 15:39 and 16:21. Galiardi and Lewis connected first on a Big Green two-man advantage, before Shields scored with assists from Galiardi and Swallow on another power play goal to give Dartmouth the 6-4 lead.

Late in the third period, Joe Gaudet '10 picked up the seventh and final goal with classmates Josh Gillam '10 and Kevin McCarthy '10 assisting.

Devine played the entirety of the match in net for the Big Green, recording 17 saves behind the Dartmouth defense. Offensively, the Big Green outshot the Patriots 44-21 and went 4-14 on power plays.