Maggie Asks, They Answer

I always thought I would take advantage of the many opportunities that Dartmouth College has to offer. Unfortunately, as the years have drawn on, my various attempts at self-improvement have expired faster than the time it took me to rip my bong before writing this column.

The times, however, are changing. I've made a resolution: this fall, I will take advantage of my surroundings. More specifically, I will be taking advantage of you. Each week, I will interview someone new, trying to glean some of the charm, gall and straight brilliance that Dartmouth has to offer. Then, I will write about it.

Hopefully, reading about the people that surround us will interest you as much as it does me. Aside from gleaning insight from your wise-ass peers, you may find an opportunity to see how you stack up to your enemies. Perhaps you'll even get the chance to chastise a friend for sounding like the GGMM. Honestly, please do feel free to bask in the innumerable ways that this column may improve your life in the future.

This week, I hunted down some writers. The hope was that soaking up as many quirky, bohemian vibes as possible from columnists would prep me for being one myself. The verdict? Alice Mathias '07 could beat me up, Justine Sterling '07 likes grass and Tom Kidera '07 might not even be able to read. All joking aside, however, these three are a force to be reckoned with: they've got charisma and talent to boot. Read on for more of the skinny on your Fall 2006 Mirror Columnists.

What do you like about Dartmouth?

Tom: The people, I guess. Everyone says that though.

Justine: The large amount of lawn ... some places have too little lawn, or too much.

You're all seniors this year. Anything in particular you want to do before graduating?

Alice: The golf course. The Bema.

Tom: Alice.

What books should be on my reading list? Movies? Music?

Justine: Little Miss Sunshine.

Tom: The last book I liked was by a British woman, Zadie Smith. Don't put that, it makes me seem like a chick.

What happened to your arm?

Justine: I fell. The doctor was casting it, and he started humming. Then he started singing ... I look out to the waiting room, and "Cops" was on the TV. I was like, "well, at least that's not me."

Have you ever been in a fight?

Justine: The closest thing to a fight I've ever been in was in Madrid last fall. There was a little kid coming towards us. He was staring at me and kind of stopped walking toward us. Then he kicked me in the shin, really hard and left. I guess that stare was an invitation to my first fight. I lost.

Alice: I've been doing mixed martial arts this summer. So I'd be down.

Tom: I fight people who are smaller than me. Women and children. I'm 45 and 0.

What's the best gift you've ever received?

Alice: A portable record player. I thought my friend was giving me a suitcase.

Any of you planning on getting a tattoo soon?

Tom: I want a "thug life" tattoo. On my face.

Justine: My family owns a winery. I'd like to get a tattoo of the winery label.

Anything else you'd like people to know about you?

Tom: I buy books and don't read them. I haven't read a book since, like, 4th grade.

Alice: I'm from Chicago. They should know that.

Any questions that you'd like to ask me?

Tom: Would you mind blitzing a copy of this to me before you print it?