Senior rescues 'chipwiches' at Homeplate

Chipwiches, the frozen-yogurt, cookie encrusted sandwiches can once again be found at Homeplate due to the efforts of Mike Rosenzweig '06.

He found out that the chipwich was absent just because no one could work the shift when they were usually produced. So Rosenzweig decided to do something about the dearth of frozen desserts and volunteered for the job.

"I found out that it only took an hour once a week to make all of them," Rosenzweig said. "I told [Dartmouth Dining Services] I would do it, and they could even pay me in chipwiches. So they got me there on a Sunday and gave me a DDS shirt and hat."

The manager of Homeplate, Beth Rosenberger, noted that it wasn't an intentional decision to disband the chipwich, which is also known as the cookiewich.

"In the fall and winter we were short on staffing, and it just ended up that no one took that shift," she said.

Rosenberger added that when she met Rosenzweig, his enthusiasm was so catching that she hired him on the spot.

"He said he'd make them for free as long as we have them," Rosenberger said.

Rosenzweig quickly took to the job, and even improved the selection of chipwiches by offering more options.

"Every week I try something new," Rosenzweig said. "I've customized them with sprinkles and oreos and recently have made chipwiches using Food Court cookies."

This switch in cookies is a big step, especially considering that Homeplate tries to provide a low calorie, low fat option for students. The Food Court cookie version of the chipwich, though, has been a huge success, possibly due to the fact that it provides consumers with a chewier, softer cookie.

Rosenberger noted that due to the success of the new option, she will have to put in a larger order for the Food Court cookies.

"Every week, Mike makes more and more because the demand increases as the weather gets warmer. This week we ordered two dozen Food Court cookies, but that batch was gone by the middle of the week," Rosenberger said. "This next week I'll put in the order for four dozen."

Rosenzweig has a sign posted above the freezer that asks for suggestions and feedback for the chipwiches.

"Some people e-mailed me saying, 'Thank you for bringing the chipwich back.' I've also received a complaint that the chipwich is too cold. I guess my advice for that is to keep it close to you while you're eating -- I keep mine in my pocket -- then when you pull it out, it's ready to eat."

Dartmouth's chipwich originated at least 10 years ago. When DDS workers completely emptied the frozen yogurt machine to clean it each week, a student suggested that instead of discarding the extra dessert, it could be used to make cookie sandwiches. The cookiewiches, which later became known as chipwiches, became an instant success with students. Due to Rosenzweig's persistent chipwich revival, they are still sold today.