Daily Debriefing

House Bill 1125 was signed into law by New Hampshire Governor John Lynch, giving Secretary of State William Gardner greater power in defending the state's first-in-nation presidential primary status. It comes in response to numerous states, including California and Michigan, that have recently passed bills attempting to place primaries or caucuses before New Hampshire's primary. The bill gives Gardner greater power to react to last-minute primary or caucus changes by other states. Lynch said that New Hampshire's primary is so valuable because it forces candidates to meet voters in small groups instead of using mass advertising. He believes that other states, if allowed primaries or caucuses before New Hampshire's, would not be able to reconstruct these traditions.

Effective today, the town of Hanover's summer parking ban will continue until November 15. Between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, cars cannot park on Main Street, Lebanon Street, Maynard Street and West Wheelock Street in addition to several other streets. On November 15, the town's winter parking ban will go into effect until April 30. The winter ban prohibits parking on streets and municipal off-street parking areas between 12:01 a.m. and 7 a.m., seven days a week. Violators will face a fine and may have their cars towed at the owner's expense.

James Bramson '88, former legal counsel for America Online, was named as the general counsel to the Revolution Health Group. The consumer-centric health company was founded in July 2005 by AOL co-founder Steve Case and aims to put the consumer at the center of the health system and to invest and impower innovative health-related companies. The recent appointment comes in conjunction with the Group's appointment of four other executives to the senior management team.