Assembly confirms new committee heads

Student Body President-elect Tim Andreadis '07 held his second Student Assembly meeting Tuesday night, during which 21 Assembly members confirmed committee chairs for the upcoming academic year.

Only two of the six eligible current committee chairs reapplied for their positions as executive members of the Assembly next year.

Chrissie Chick '07, the current Communications Committee chair, applied to become the chair of the Student Services committee next winter and spring terms, while Adam Shpeen '07 reapplied for the position he holds now, Academic Affairs Committee chair, for next fall. Chick's application was accepted and she will go through voting procedures when they continue at a meeting this Thursday.

Shpeen, whose application was rejected, expressed anger and disappointment with the Andreadis administration's decision.

"I think [Andreadis is] digging himself into a deep hole ... [Andreadis has] always been disorganized," he said. "I think he needs to be focused next year to be successful."

Student Body Vice President-elect Jacqueline Loeb '08 said that she and Andreadis felt Shpeen's application for a single term instead of three showed a lack of commitment and that the Assembly was looking for a different leadership style.

"I've worked under Shpeen before," she said. "He's really nice and approachable, but he's really good at doing things on his own, and we were looking for something different."

Shpeen also expressed doubts about Andreadis' personal abilities as a leader and said that he thinks experienced leaders are necessary to smooth the transitions for the fledgling Andreadis Assembly.

"The fact of the matter is that his agenda has already been so polarizing. So on top of that rejecting old executives is not very smart," he said. "I think it's important to have seniors in leadership positions. I fear that [Andreadis] is sacrificing continuity for his own agenda."

Current executive members Travis Green '08, Karan Danthi '07, Chris Bertrand '07 and Dave Zubricki '07 decided to end their service as committee chairs after this year. Green, Bertrand and Danthi cited various time and commitment concerns as reasons for scaling down their Assembly involvement.

Zubricki, who worked on the Assembly Undergraduate Finance Committee proposal over the last few weeks and originally planned to reapply as the Student Life Committee chair, said that he only recently changed his mind.

"After working closely with Tim on preparing the UFC report," he said, "I quickly realized that I didn't agree with the direction that the Student Assembly was taking."

At Tuesday night's meeting, both Dave Nachman '09 and Ruslan Tovbulatov '09 were confirmed as the Assembly Secretary and Assembly Treasurer respectively.

After roughly 15 minutes of deliberation, Assembly members chose not to approve Don Zhang '08 as the Student Services committee chair, noting his lack of Assembly experience.

Elise Krieger '08 was confirmed as the Alumni Affairs committee chair, while Yuki Kondo-Shah '07 was confirmed as the Diversity Affairs committee chair.

"During the [Assembly] elections students on this campus were openly discussing topics that I have been very passionate about, and I hope that I will be able to learn from my position as well as educate others about what I know," Kondo-Shah said.

Kapil Kale '07 was voted in as the Communications Committee chair and Kenny Brown Klinger '07 was confirmed as the Student Life Committee Chair. Josh Jacobson '09 was voted in as the Student Organizations chair and Harshil Shah '09 was confirmed as the Student Services chair for next fall.