Wiegmann, True pace Big Green track in weekend meets

Running in the rain, Mike Carmody '08 clocked in at 1:51.12 to place seventh in the 800 meters at the Pomona Invitational in Claremont, Calif.

Wiegmann qualified for the NCAA regional meet in the javelin with a winning 146'5" throw, then capped off a strong day with a 5'10" clearance to win the high jump. The leap set a school record and was good enough to qualify her for the NCAA meet.

Wiegmann's jump bested the previous school record of 5'8 3/4" (1.75 meters), which Wiegmann had previously shared with Tessa Claire '05.

Out in California, men's head coach Barry Harwick '77 took six athletes to compete in two meets: the Pomona Invitational in Claremont and the Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut.

At Pomona, Ben True '08 returned to the track after spending the winter with Dartmouth's skiing team, showing he's no worse for it with an NCAA-regional-qualifying 3:47.74 run in the 1500, good for second place.

"He has great endurance from his winter of skiing and when we add some speed work, he'll run outstanding times at the championships," Harwick said of True's run.

Harry Norton '08 also ran in the 1500, turning in a solid 3:49.01 run to take sixth, and Mike Carmody '08 had a strong 800 meter despite having to contend with rainy weather, finishing seventh with a 1:51.12 run.

At the Mt. SAC Relays, Melanie Schorr '06 ran the 10,000 meter event for the first time in her career and proved up to the task. Schorr reached the NCAA provisional qualifying standard with a 34:43 run.

At UNH, Dartmouth had a number of strong finishes. Aside from Wiegmann's victories, Jamila Smith '06 and Mattie Chatterton-Richmond '06 both won two events each for the women, and Rob Kerris '07 and Fatih Stanley '06 were double winners on the men's side.

After consecutive weekends of meets with poor weather, women's head coach Sandra Ford-Centonze was glad for the better conditions at UNH.

"Well, we finally caught a break with the weather, it didn't rain and the sun was actually shining," said Ford-Centonze. "Our team performed very well and it excites me to see where we actually are looking ahead to the next three weeks."

Smith threw her way to victory in the hammer and shot put, with 157'11" and 45'6 1/2" throws, respectively, while Chatterton-Richmond leapt to victory in the long jump and outran the field in the 400 meter hurdles with a distance of 18'1/4" and a time of 1:03.08.

Also winning for the women were Micaela Carwell '08 in the triple jump with a 36'1/4" leap, Emily Daly '09 in the discus with a 143'6" throw and Victoria Michelotti '08 in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 15.23 seconds.

Additionally, Chatterton-Richmond, Karen Woolley '09 and Michelotti combined to go one-two-three in the 400-meter hurdles.

Kerris took the shot with a 52'1" throw and bested the field in the discus with a 158'9" toss. Stanley took first in the 100 meters, finishing in 10.78 seconds, and also ran a season-best time of 21.73 in the 200 to win the event.

Derrick Vinklarek '08 was the only other individual winner for the men, clearing 14'6" to take first in the pole vault.

The men's squad had several other strong performances from its younger members, with Charlie Stoebe '08 clocking in at 48.82 to take second in the 400 meters, Trevor Middleton '09 turning in a 1:56.22 run in the 800 to finish second, Oliver Townsend '09 running 3:59.76 in a second-place 1500 run and Glenn Randall '09 taking second in the 5000 with a 15:49.57 run.

The Big Green returns to Memorial Field Saturday for the Dartmouth Invitational. Field events will start at noon, and running events will begin at 1 p.m.