THE LIST

Being busy, stressed and largely self-involved can blind us to the great art on this campus. Here are a few works that are impressive and worth appreciating even if you're an art-fearing math/science type:

1. Mark Di Suvero's X-Delta

This is the enormous steel structure behind Loew that has a swing-like attachment suspended by cables. If you've ever sat on the swing, I bet you felt guilty but Di Suvero meant for the X-Delta, and many of his works, to be interactive. The I-beams move with an elegance you would never expect from such mass. Take a Hop lunch out there for a swinging picnic.

1. Beverly Pepper's Thel

Pepper worked with students in 1975 to create the white enameled steel triangular forms in front of Fairchild. In the same spirit of the X-Delta, Thel is meant to be mingled with. Don't just trip over it on your way to a science class. Check out the romantic cave set into the largest section of the work ... can someone say, "Dartmouth Eight?"

1. Bruce Beasley (class of '61), multiple works

This artist-alum's sculptures line the hall opposite the blitz terminals in Baker Library. The cast-bronze cubist works are based on natural forms like crystalline structures and molecular building blocks. They've always been there, you've just been too strung out on Redbulls to notice ...

1. The Orozco Murals

It's an fresco depicting the history of civilization on the American continent. It sparked controversy and international acclaim. If you haven't seen the epic down by the reserve desk, that is just inexcusable.

1. Everything in Tuck!

A few of the biggies are Thomas Struth (a world-famous photographer), Robert Rauschenberg (an American master), John Baldessari, Roy Pinney, Louis Stettner, the list is endless. And don't be scared by the Tuckies, they don't bite, just put on your best business face and take yourself on a tour.