Sexual Assault Awareness on Campus

The issue of sexual assault and abuse is one of the most highly-publicized and controversial issues on college campuses. The underreporting and high occurrence of incidents, combined with the associated stigmas and the unclear definitions of what exactly constitutes assault or abuse makes the issue sensitive yet very important to maintaining a healthy and safe campus environment. A focus on sexual abuse shows us that Dartmouth is no exception to this problem; we have had our fair share of abuse scandals, both substantiated and based on rumors, and statistics suggest that there is still a problem. Sexual Abuse Awareness Week has done much to re-emphasize the importance of the issue on this campus. However, especially in light of the Duke story, attention must be paid to the problem of sexual assault not only during the designated week but throughout the year.

Leah Prescott and everyone associated with Sexual Abuse Awareness Week must be commended for their work, both in putting together this week's programming and in general. Especially in light of the controversy surrounding Abby Tassel's departure, it is good to see that the program is continuing under new leadership. It is disappointing however, that student attendance at events has not been particularly high. While Dartmouth students do not seem inattentive to the issues, as evidenced by the debate Winter term about sexual assault in The Dartmouth, and by the number of students who become Sexual Abuse Peer Advisors, the majority of campus seems apathetic. And while it may be argued that the continued barrage of information and the concentrated focus of Sexual Abuse Awareness Week may decrease sensitivity, it still does not minimize the importance of the issue or the need to have an educated student body.

The magnitude of the issue becomes clear in light of the recent Duke Lacrosse scandal, where three members of the men's Lacrosse team stand accused of raping, beating and choking an exotic dancer. The alleged rape and subsequent response have provoked criticism not only of the Duke administration but also of the student culture as whole, with its racial tensions, town-gown issues, and the feeling that some students have an unfair license to misbehave. While one would hope that such an incident would not occur at Dartmouth, that such an event could happen at one of our peer institutions makes the significance of education and a culture that does not condone sexual assault even clearer.

It is also of value to note that the victim was not a Duke student, emphasizing that sexual assault is not only a Dartmouth issue but one that exists outside our Hanover bubble. Thus, Sexual Assault Awareness Week can be seen as an attempt to impart the knowledge that not only makes campus safer but makes us more aware for when we leave. The only missing element is increased student recognition of the importance of both of those goals.