Hoop Hall inducts Gavitt '59 alongside Barkley, Dumars

On Monday, David Gavitt '59 received word that his career-long dedication to the game of basketball had earned him induction into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Gavitt will enter the Hall during a Sept. 8-9 ceremony in Springfield, Mass., along with five other basketball luminaries that include Charles Barkley, Joe Dumars and Dominique Wilkins.

Gavitt, while no human highlight reel on the court, made spectacular contributions to the game after his playing days were over.

One of Gavitt's most impressive accomplishments was his involvement in the founding of the Big East basketball conference, the home of perennial hoop powers University of Connecticut, Syracuse, Villanova and Georgetown, among others.

"He's been a real pioneer in the area," Dartmouth Athletic Director Josie Harper said after commenting on how well deserved Gavitt's recognition was. "I don't think the Big East would have existed without him."

"[Gavitt's] name is synonymous with Big East basketball," Dartmouth head coach Terry Dunn added.

While Gavitt's creation of a college basketball powerhouse conference may have cemented his legacy, his contributions to the game run far deeper.

Gavitt chaired the NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball Committee in the early 1980's. Under his supervision, the tournament television coverage expanded, as did the field, to 64 teams.

Gavitt extended his success beyond the college game. He served as the director of basketball operations for the Boston Celtics and as president of USA Basketball.

While Gavitt will be inducted as a contributor to the game, he had a successful coaching career, capped by his being named head coach of the US Olympic Basketball team for the 1980 Moscow Games, boycotted by the United States.

Gavitt spent many years coaching college basketball before his pre-Dream Team days. After a stretch as the head coach of the Big Green, Gavitt left to coach the Providence College Friars, whom he would lead to eight consecutive 20-win seasons, five NCAA tournament bids and a Final Four appearance.

What might be the most impressive aspect of Gavitt's resume, however, has little to do with the traditional measures of a successful career.

"He can't go more than two feet without shaking someone's hand because he's touched so many lives," Dean O'Keefe, vice-president of marketing for the Basketball Hall of Fame, said as he described some of the time he spent with Gavitt at this year's NCAA Final Four in Indianapolis, Ind.

Harper echoed O'Keefe's impression of Gavitt's character. While not formally involved with the College, Gavitt provided invaluable assistance to the athletic department over the years. Harper cited his recent help with the department's search for a new head basketball coach.

"If I called Dave tomorrow and asked for his help he'd give it to me," she said. "He's just been tireless in his work."

Candidates are inducted if they receive 18 votes from the 24 member Honor Committee of the Hall. While election into the Hall of Fame would validate any career, the news of Gavitt's induction was especially sweet. The board elected Gavitt on his first trip before them. Legendary college basketball head coach Bobby Knight and three-time NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers forward James Worthy were both voted down twice before finally gaining entrance to the Hall.