Golfers brave stormy weather, claim second at Yale tourney

The men's golf team rolled to a strong second-place finish at the Yale Spring Tournament Sunday. Overcoming oppressive weather conditions, the Big Green almost took the title home.

The team compiled an 18-hole score of 305, three shots behind first-place Oklahoma Christian University. Twenty teams competed in the tournament.

Even though the tournament took place over two days, only Sunday's results were counted because of a Saturday rain-out. Senior co-captain Chaki Kobayashi '06 recalled the tough playing conditions.

"It was about 35 degrees, it rained the entire time and it was windy," said Kobayashi. "Towards the end of the [first] round it was sleeting and hailing, and none of us could feel our fingers, hands or arms. In spite of it all, we played well compared to other teams, and we were leading by a significant margin."

But the Yale coach in charge of the event decided to scratch the first day. The other teams were having trouble finishing due to the weather.

Sunday was a better day, but the wind and damage Saturday's conditions did to the course made putting extremely difficult for the teams.

The scoring leaders for the Big Green included senior co-captains Kenan Yount '06 and Kobayashi, who shot 73 and 76, respectively, on Yale's par-70 home track. Yount's score was good for a share of second place in the individual standings.

Younger golfers Matt Uretsky '07 and Rob Henley '09 both contributed with 78 apiece. Jamie Wallace '08 shot a solid 79.

While they put forth a strong showing, the players went into the tournament expecting to win, and were not particularly excited about the results.

"We felt like there was no reason we couldn't take down the tournament -- that we were the nastiest team in the field," Uretsky said.

The second-place finish was a disappointment, but the players remain hungry and critical of their play.

"I was very disappointed by my performance on the back nine, especially considering how well I had played on the front," Kobayashi said. "I hit the ball pretty well and putted well, but I just made a lot of mental errors on the back nine."

The Big Green had several bright spots and showed the potential for a break-out season. Five players finished with scores in the 70s, and the team now knows it can dominate the local competition.

The team is motivated to do even better for the remainder of the season.

"[This tournament is] a good stepping stone going into the spring season with Ivies coming up in two weeks," said Uretsky.

This weekend from April 14-15, the Big Green resumes play in the District 1 championship in Rhode Island.