Golf teams sink beneath field at rainy Ivy Championships

For the second consecutive weekend, the Dartmouth men's golf team played to a disappointing tournament finish. After three rounds on Saturday and Sunday, the Big Green tied for sixth in an eight-team field at the Ivy League Championship -- one of the major tournaments of the season.

For the second time in three weeks, Dartmouth had to contend with unfavorable weather conditions. It was cold and rainy for much of the tournament in Vernon, N.J., which made it difficult for golfers to putt and execute their strokes. But the Big Green golfers were not willing to pass off their struggles on the poor conditions.

"The weather made the conditions difficult, but the main problem was that we just didn't play well," Rob Henley '09 said.

The team had enjoyed a solid week of practice. Individual golfers worked hard on their weaknesses and the team felt ready to challenge the favored Princeton Tigers.

After failing to make a championship run, however, the Dartmouth men were left searching for answers upon their return to Hanover.

"Once again [as in the New England Division I Tournament], we had several scores in the 80s, some well into the 80s, which is not good for business," Chaki Kobayashi '06 said. "I really don't know what it was, but we just did not play very well at all."

The team's final score ballooned to 940 -- tied with Harvard and only 20 strokes fewer than last-place Cornell (960) and more than 40 from first-place Princeton (895). Princeton won the tournament for the third consecutive year, edging Columbia into second place by a single stroke.

Matt Uretsky '07 registered Dartmouth's lowest score, carding a 78 in the first round, 73 in the second and another 78 in the third for a total score of 229 -- good for 12th overall on the individual leaderboard. It was the first time a Big Green golfer had not cracked the top ten.

Rounding out Dartmouth's performances, Kenan Yount '06 shot 237, Jamie Wallace '08 recorded 238 and Kobayashi shot 239, respectively. Henley finished at 243.

"Our performance was mediocre at best," Wallace said. "I don't believe we are the sixth best team in the Ivy League. It's a shame that people are going to think that now."

The team will play its final tournament next Saturday and Sunday at the URI Invitational, where the Big Green will look to discard its recent troubles and end the season on a winning note.

"Hopefully we can play well at our last tournament this coming weekend and erase some of the frustration from last weekend," Wallace said.

The women's golf team also had a tough tournament at the Ivy League Championship at the same location. The team finished last in the field of seven teams, also struggling to compensate for the poor weather conditions.

The championship was shortened from three rounds (54 holes) to one and a half rounds (27 holes) because of the weather. Hayley Stevens '07 was the team's low scorer, shooting 88 in the first round and 41 in the shortened second.

For the tournament, the Big Green shot 536, well above tournament champion Yale's score of 488. Harvard took second at 493.

Other Big Green scorers were Anne Daher '07 (91-42-133), Elizabeth Dupuy '08, (93-43-136), Tory Sheppard '09 (92-46-138) and Lauren Strickler '09 (93-47-140).

"I think our scores and how we ultimately did are not a reflection of how good of players we are," Stevens said.

During the previous week of practice, the team had been confident going into the tournament and expected to place well.

"We were focused on the same things we always focus on: staying mentally tough and playing to contend."

The weather was a huge factor, though, as it was in the men's tournament. Temperatures below 40 degrees and windy conditions took the golfers out of their rhythm and stained what was otherwise a good season for the Dartmouth squad.

"We're still a young team, but I am really proud of our performance this spring," Daher said. "The weekend before last, we lost by one stroke to Harvard, who took second in the Ivy League Championship. We had a bad tournament this weekend, but we played well this spring ... I am looking forward to next year."