Study finds that 'other' checked mostly by whites

Although a new study suggests that the majority of college applicants who define their ethnicity as "other" are actually white, Dean of Admissions Karl Furstenberg rejected the idea that this trend skewed Dartmouth College's minority enrollment.

The study, released by the James Irvine Foundation, a California nonprofit grant-making institution, found that between 1991 and 2001, the number of students who defined themselves as "unknown" or "other" nearly doubled from 3.2 percent to 5.9 percent of the student body, and that most of them were white.

This research was the first major project funded by the Campus Diversity Initiative, the Irvine Foundation's $29 million effort designed to help independent colleges and universities across the country address diversity issues on their campuses.

CDI tested three private schools in California by having students who had defined themselves as "other" on their applications fill out a survey on their ethnicity after officially matriculating. At one school, there was a 150 percent increase in the number of "other" students who then declared themselves white.

The foundation wanted to ensure that campus leaders have accurate information about the demographics of their student populations, according to a press release from the foundation.

Furstenberg did not believe that this increase had to do with anything other than this generation's increased awareness of the individual.

"People in general are generally more aware of their heritage and ethnicity," he said. "On a college application there are a very limited number of options you can check."

Despite Furstenberg's statements, the Common Application -- which is accepted at 277 national universities, including Dartmouth -- offers 10 ethnic groups with which an applicant can identify, including "other." Many of the potential definitions even specify ethnicity within themselves by asking for country of origin or tribal affiliation. Students are also encouraged to check as many or as little of the boxes as possible to give schools the most accurate portrayal of their ethnicity.

The trends found in the study could have very negative implications on college diversity. Most people assume that most, if not all, students in the "other" category are somewhat multiracial.

"A campus may have 50 percent students of color according to enrollment data but may only have 28 percent students of color" in reality, the study said. Campuses reporting progress toward diversity by admitting larger numbers of minority and multiracial students may actually just be admitting more Caucasian students.

Furstenberg also rejected the idea that white students may be checking the "other" box to gain an edge over other applicants when applying to colleges. Some scholars have suggested that this trend is part of the affirmative action backlash and increasingly competitive selection processes.

"I think that sounds kind of preposterous," Furstenberg said. "As competitive as [applying to college] may be, I doubt that students are intentionally misleading admissions officials to try and improve their own chances."

Furstenberg encouraged applicants to be forthcoming and secure in how they define themselves.

"You are what you are," he said. "You might as well be yourself about it."