Assembly approves $3,500 for student-faculty brunch

Zubricki, who assumed the post of Student Life Committee Chair, said that the Assembly decided to sponsor a student-faculty event last year after observing other schools' traditions.

"Basically we looked around at all the Ivy League schools and at the end of the year they have a culminating event for the students and the faculty," Zubricki said.

Last year the Assembly dispensed $2,000 of its budget, along with $3000 from the Dean of the Faculty Office, toward the inaugural four-hour brunch, which was held in Collis Commonground because of inclement weather. Despite being held in a rain location, however, the event drew a crowd of 700 students, faculty, and administrators -- 200 more than originally expected.

"$5,000 allowed us to buy food for 500 people, and we ran out of food," Zubricki said. "We went over budget by around $1,500."

The resolution cites the larger-than-expected attendance as well as Dean of the Faculty Carol Folt's congratulatory letter to the Assembly last year as reasons to increase funding for the event this spring.

Zubricki stressed that the Assembly will probably not spend all of the proposed $3,500 this year, but that the funds are merely capped at that figure.

"I think it's necessary that we are prepared to spend up to $3,500 since last year's funding wasn't enough, even with additional support from the Dean of the Faculty Office. That being said, I don't think we will spend all of the $3,500," he said.

The resolution was passed without opposition or abstention.

Members also nominated Jake Fainzilberg '09, Josh Jacobson '09, Timothy Leung '09 and Zak Moore '09 for the Membership in Internal Affairs Committee. Fainzilberg and Moore were confirmed.

The Assembly also confirmed Chrissie Chick '07 as the Communications Committee Chair and Adam Shpeen '07 as the Academic Affairs Committee Chair.