Rushees anxiously await sorority bids

Pledge terms are underway for sophomore men who sank their fraternity bids this past weekend, but sophomore women, who completed the rush process with preference night on Tuesday, still anxiously await their sorority assignments.

Recruitment counselors will meet with their rushees Thursday evening to present them with their sorority bids just hours before the new members attend their respective houses for bid night.

After two rounds of rush, the six sororities presented preference night invitations to 265 rushees. The women received up to four invitations and attended one or two hour-long parties during this final rush event. After round two, 22 women did not receive any invitations to preference night. Two women had been released after round one.

The number of invitations handed out varied among the sororities. The Panhellenic Council based the numbers on the amount of women who rushed the houses over the past three years, Panhell's vice president of recruitment, Zobeida Torres '06, said.

After each round of rush, sorority members deliberated about potential new members and extended invitations to select rushees. Women attended all six sororities during round one, up to four sororities during round two, and up to two sororities on preference night.

After preference night, sorority members created a list of the rushees they would most like to have in their organizations. Members put the women who did not make the first list onto a second list and ranked the rushees in desirability.

Panhell's new computer software helped the rush process run smoothly this year, Torres said.

"We used to have a scantron system. The new system lessens the chance of making mistakes because it's a computer," Torres said. "It helped the process go a lot more smoothly."

After each round, sorority members were able to click the names of the women they wanted to invite back.

Approximately 60 more women rushed this fall compared to last fall. Of the 316 women who began rush, several women dropped out because they did not want to make the time commitment this term, but some of these women are expected to rush this winter, Torres said.

Panhell split the potential new members into small groups, each of which was assigned a recruitment counselor who escorted rushees to round-one parties, answered general questions about the rush process and delivered invitations after each round.

Recruitment counselors are upperclass women who are affiliated with sororities but are not allowed to disclose their affiliations.