Minority Greeks recruit new members

Though rush is over for most fraternities and sororities, the process of inducting new members is still proceeding under the radar screen for some minority Greek organizations.

Alpha Phi Alpha, Dartmouth's traditionally African-American fraternity "does not mirror the school's traditional rush process," Alpha President Tramaine Tyson '06.

The Alphas do not offer bids or recruit new members, though they do offer periodic informational sessions. The Alphas follow their national organization's deadlines, and membership also depends on selections at the national level, Tyson said.

"All final decisions are made at the national membership intake level," he said. "Meeting the minimum requirement in some or all of these areas by no means guarantees membership."

Tyson did not elaborate on such requirements.

Lambda Upsilon Lambda, a national Latino fraternity, does not reveal the number of bids given or sunk in its membership intake procedure, according to Elkin Cabas '06, the vice president, secretary and social chair of LUL.

"We only make public the number of members in the organization once a pledge class has crossed," Cabas said.

Cabas also said that he could not disclose the plans for winter and spring membership intake due to the same privacy policy.

Alpha Pi Omega, a national Native American sorority with provisional, or "colony," status, is not holding a rush process this fall but plans to have one this winter and expects three to five women to participate, according to Amanda Faircloth '06. Faircloth said that the D-plan causes some difficulties.

"We only have one process a year, so it can be difficult to work with the D-plan since women who are interested may or may not be on in the term that we schedule a process," Faircloth said.

Members of Sigma Lambda Upsilon, a Latina sorority that also has colony status, could not be found for comment.