Men's soccer notches home win against Columbia

With its trademark hard-nosed defensive style, the Dartmouth's men's soccer team defeated Columbia 1-0 on Sunday at Chase Field in Hanover, N.H., Mike Ordonez '08, returning after a one-game suspension, scored the only goal after pouncing on a loose ball, following a shot from P.J. Scheufele '06.

The game started in true Dartmouth style, with both teams playing solid at the back and not allowing the opponent many opportunities to shoot on goal.

Even though they were missing rock-solid keeper Rowan Anders '07 because of a red card in the last game and right-back Tom Lobben '08 due to an injury, the Big Green players were still solid at the back, lead by secure center-back Lucas Richardson '07.

It was the Lions' senior forward Ajene Green that was trying to create some trouble for the Dartmouth defense, firing four shots in the beginning of the game, three of which were on target.

On the other end of the field, New Zealand born striker Craig Henderson '08, who earned his first collegiate start, threatened Columbia's goal on two occasions in the first 25 minutes.

Later in the first half, the Dartmouth players realized that Columbia is not an opponent that can match them in any aspect of the game and moved forward, pressuring the Lions in their own half. Columbia (3-9-0, Ivy 0-3-0) was coming off a four-game losing streak, in which their defense conceded nine goals.

Even though the Big Green (7-2-4, Ivy 3-1-0) was winless in its last two games, the team had just ended its nine-game undefeated streak against Penn last weekend, and fielded a defense that only allowed a single goal in the last five games.

It was Amar Takhar '06 and Darnell Nance '06 that created the later chances in front of Columbia's goal, but the Lion's defense and keeper Michael Testa did a great job to keep the clean sheet in the first half. At the end of the first 45 minutes, Dartmouth held a 10-4 advantage in shots, but still exhibited the same problem that has haunted the team all season -- being unable to convert the chances on net into goals.

Big Green head coach Jeff Cook obviously took matters in his own hands at the break and motivated his team to perform better during the second half. "We basically went over things to make sure we got our shape right -- defend as a team better, and attack as a team better," said co-captain Scheufele.

The effect was noticeable as Dartmouth managed to fire eight shots only in the first 15 minutes of the second half, resulting in a goal by Ordonez in the 57th minute. Scheufele advanced on the right and fired a shot from just inside the area, but the ball was knocked down by Testa in the Lions' goal.

However, the Columbia defense failed to clear the ball from danger and Ordonez pounced on the loose ball, shooting it past Testa for his team-leading fourth goal of the season.

Scheufele, meanwhile, recorded his fourth assist of the campaign and increased his season point tally to eight, tied with Ordonez as the team leader.

The Dartmouth players stayed in their own zone for most of the remainder of the second half, searching for empty space in the opposition defense on the counter-attack.

At the end of the day, however, it was goalkeeper Testa that distinguished himself from the rest of his Columbia teammates, making nine saves to prevent a lopsided defeat for the Lions.

His Big Green counterpart Sean Milligan '09 also did well in his first start in the Dartmouth goal, making six saves for the first shutout of his collegiate career filling in for the missing Anders.

The Big Green held a 20-10 advantage in shots, with Scheufele (six shots, three on goal) and Ordonez (three shots, two on goal) leading the team, while Green lead the Lions with four shots, three on goal.

"After the game against Penn, there was a certain sense of disbelief in our team," said Jeff Cook. "Losing that game was a bitter disappointment, but we did well to handle that feeling against a good Columbia team. Even though their record isn't very strong, I don't think they've lost by more than a goal in almost every game they've played."

"In the first half, it was frustration for the guys up front that we were creating our chances, but not finishing a high enough percentage of them," commented Cook on the team's well-known weakness. "If one of the guys gets into a hot streak in front of goal, then the team can go a long way."

Scheufele confidently confirmed his coach's words by adding that, "The teams coming up should be aware, because when the [goals] start going in, they'll be in trouble."

Dartmouth will be back in action on Wednesday, Oct. 26, when they play an interstate grudge-match against the Wildcats from the University of New Hampshire in Durham, N.H. Anders will be back in action in Dartmouth's goal after serving a one-game suspension.

The Big Green will probably still be missing Lobben, whose thigh injury is not yet completely healed. He is hoping to return for Saturday's Ivy League game against Harvard in Cambridge, Mass.