Alumnus carves out N.H. trails

A Dartmouth alumnus and his colleagues recently completed a six-week, 550-mile backpacking trip along the Appalachian Trail, successfully linking existing trails to create a continuous route through the Granite State.

Rick Ouimet '98 and his wife, Allison Coviello, both high school teachers from the Bronx, recently joined their colleagues to create a trail connecting all peaks above 4,000 feet in New Hampshire and additional sites of interest.

"Our route took us over such celebrated southern peaks as Monadnock, Kearsarge, Cardigan and Smarts -- over all 48 4,000s in the Whites -- and through Coos County via the Cohos Trail," Ouimet said.

The new route allowed the hikers to see infrequently visited parts of the state that stand apart from main attractions, such as portions of the White Mountains far from the beaten trail.

Hikers on the Appalachian Trail often slow down upon arrival in New Hampshire because the paths are less clear than most spots along the route. The Trail begins in Georgia and ends in Maine. In New Hampshire, it continues from Hanover to Gorham, situated in the northeastern portion of the state.

The intersection of the Appalachian Trail with the White Mountains is considered by many to be the most demanding section of journey.

After graduating from Dartmouth, Ouimet and his wife took off for five months and completed the Appalachian Trail. Recognizing the absence of a continuous path in New Hampshire, they created their own this summer.

Ouimet emphasized the route's difficulty.

"We were in the Whites for 300 miles," he said. "Every day you are above the tree line, unlike the Vermont Longtrail."

The majority of their time was spent on trails, many of which are maintained by Dartmouth. Other peaks, such as Mt. Cardigan and Smarts, were crossed with the help of snowmobile paths.

Ouimet bemoaned the lack of markers along the routes leading to their desired peaks. In order to reach the top of Smarts Mountain, for example, his group was forced to leave preexisting trails in favor of the rugged Clark Pond Loop.

"There were no markers anywhere," Ouimet said. "It was the most intense bushwhack we had."

Ouimet hopes that their trail, which they have named the New Hampshire Trail, will become a popular option for hikers along the Appalachian.

"We are hoping that this trail catches on as a more rugged alternative to the Vermont Long Trail," he said. "You can do it in six weeks."