Welcome to Camp Dartmouth

Well, we made it. Somehow, despite the feeling that DOC Trips were a few weekends ago, we're already at our sophomore summer.

I'm going to try my best to make sure this column isn't pure cheesy clich, but I promise nothing. Wish me luck.

In Dartmouth lore, this is it. The high point of our time here. This is the legendary term during which Hanover becomes "Camp Dartmouth." This is the term where the beer flows morning, afternoon and night every day. If college is the best time of our life, and if sophomore summer is the best time of college, it's all downhill from here, kids.

No pressure, right?

I was lucky enough to become good friends with a number of '05s from whom I've learned a number of important things. Sitting with them during Senior Week as they recounted the highs and lows of their soon-to-be-ended college careers really put some things in perspective. The time here goes so fast, and the best experiences seem to be those least expected.

For that reason, I guess, I've been a little wary of this term. Optimistically wary, since I think it will live up to the high standards set for us by previous classes, but wary nonetheless. As much as I've been looking forward to the summer, I can't help but wonder how the reality can live up to such lofty expectations.

And I think I've concluded that it can, but if and only if we try to be different -- if we try to do things our way.

Granted, this will in all likelihood be the most memorable term of college for all of us. I think that's true just by virtue of having the campus to ourselves during the one time of the year that New Hampshire weather isn't miserable.

I think it's dangerous, however, to fall into the trap of enjoying the clich version of sophomore summer only. I've got no problem with the "play hard" portion of the Dartmouth mantra, and you'll be hard-pressed to find a greater advocate of laziness than me.

That said, however, there's a lot more to being here in the summer than playing pong at 1:00 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. There's a lot more than taking two classes and sleeping on the green in the afternoon (though I highly recommend it). There's even a lot more than Tubestock.

As integral as those things are to sophomore summer, I think the best way to spend the weeks and months to follow is to do things differently. Take advantage of the fact that there only about 1,100 of us here this summer.

Having so few people here -- almost all of them '07's -- provides so many opportunities that won't recur during our time here.

First of all, what better time is there to make new friends outside the social circles in which we normally travel? It's really easy, particularly for members of Greek organizations, to hang out with the same folks as usual. Meet some new people. Go outside your comfort zone. Don't let the insular nature of social groups here prevent you from exploring new things.

Take advantage of the fact that most extracurricular activities are reduced in the summer. Go for more hikes. Swim in the river between classes. Spend some time in the woodworking studio. See a performer at the Hop of whom you've never heard. Read a book for fun. Go out to the golf course and look at the stars. Or climb on the roof and look at the moon. See live music at Lone Pine -- or even better, jam at Lone Pine yourself. Get out of Hanover and explore New Hampshire. Climb the Presidents. Go see a Red Sox game. Go for a drive in Vermont and get completely lost. Make the most of this unique time.

Whatever you do, do it on your terms. Don't feel pressured to be "sweet" and "fratty." Do whatever the hell you feel like doing, do it without regrets and without caring what others might think. Even if that is clich, it doesn't follow that it's wrong.

Things are going to accelerate for us after this summer's over. Things like MCATs, LSATs, grad school applications, theses and finding internships will consume more and more of our time. We're going to inch closer to the "real world."

In reality, this is the last time we'll be able to subordinate responsibility to fun and self-discovery. Take advantage of it.

Most importantly, enjoy yourselves!