Looking for Something to Do?

You've probably already noticed that the summer term has a much more relaxed and informal feeling. Professors might teach in sandals, students sometimes attend class in bathing suits, and the sun doesn't set until 9:00.

By now, you may have received blitzes from members of the Class of 2006 about favorite swimming holes, ice cream shops, and hikes that are not to be missed. To add to the information available to you, I contacted some students I keep in touch with to solicit their sage advice about the summer term. Their responses came in fast and furious from cities across the country and from a Peace Corps project in Central America -- a sure sign that summer term left a lasting impression on each of them. Here are just a few of their suggestions:

Janelle Ruley '00 told me that a fond memory of her summer was "being in charge of the school" and advised that you "hold a leadership position." John Turner '04 echoed her point saying, "summer is a truly wonderful opportunity to step out behind the shadows of the upperclassmen and find out for yourself who you are. Finally, it's your turn to motivate yourself and the fellow members of your group and more fully contribute to the path that your organizations take." I hope you feel a similar sense of campus ownership and a call to leadership.

A common theme was the value of getting outside and exploring the local area. Turner urged that you not "skip out on the opportunity to do anything because you think you have too much work to do. I decided not to go on my sophomore DOC trip because I thought I had too much work, and I didn't end up doing the work anyway. Summer term is too amazing to miss out on anything 'outdoorsey' because you think you have too much work to do."

Ben Schwartz '06 provided more advice about local destinations: "Find Nathan's Garden. Hike up Gile Mountain to see the sunrise. Make it back to Moosilauke, especially on July 4 and 'Strips.' Visit the organic farm. And lock your door," he warned, "campers are everywhere!"

Ali Kelley '04 had a timely recommendation for this weekend: "Be sure to see some July 4 fireworks. Wilder has a show at the dam just south of Hanover on Route 10 on July 4. Lyme has fireworks, a chicken bbq, and live music on Saturday."

Several students advised expanding your social circles. Schwartz suggested that you, "meet new people and try a new organization just for the summer -- no long term commitment." Turner, also 2004 Greek Man of the Year, said, "Don't forget that you have friends outside of your fraternity. As fun as it is to just hang out with your brothers or sisters and disappear into a basement, don't forget the community that you're a part of."

Caryn Karo '04, an unaffiliated woman, offered a similar perspective, "if you're in a Greek house, remember that the summer isn't only about bonding with your pledge class; and if you're not in a Greek house, don't be afraid to take advantage of every opportunity for fun and friends -- it's you're time, too!" After all, as Ruley reminds, sophomore summer means never having to wonder who is on an off-term.

So reach out, explore and connect -- take naps and play frisbee on the green. Kiva Wilson '04 said about her summer, "It was so great to have everyone basically off-campus and creating their own social options. Progressive dinners from house to house were incredible...starting at the 'ABCDs' and moving all the way down to the 'greys.'" Take the initiative and create the summer that you will want to remember. Members of the Class of 2003 helped add the SEAD program. The Class of 2006 added a lobster dinner. The Class of 2007 has already added a summer convocation and there is still a lot of summer to go!

If at this point you feel pressure to make this your "best term ever," you're not alone. Caryn Karo '04 admits, "This wasn't my best quarter of my Dartmouth career. It's an amazing time, a time for lots of fun and opportunities to explore aspects of Dartmouth life that you've never pursued before. But if it's not the best time you've ever had, it's not just you. The build-up from the time that you take your admissions tour can overwhelm you. Just enjoy it for what it is." Karo makes an important point. Stressing over whether you're having enough fun seems like an unnecessary chore. Keep the fun; lose the stress.

Finally, Andrew Verstein, a recently graduated '05, wants you to know that "it is a unique pleasure to go to class in a wet swim suit." That the hammock down by the river is a pleasant place to spend an evening, and that finding air-conditioned spaces like Berry and Paddock libraries can be like finding a campus oasis on a hot, humid summer day. Since my office isn't air conditioned, you may see me in the libraries as well! Have a great summer.