The Draft Seer: Cardinals, Ravens, Chiefs come out on top

New York -- Some look forward to spring because of the nice weather, BBQs outside or just the lack of snow on the Green. But for myself and a select few, we count down the days of winter in wait for the NFL Draft. In my draft recaps for The Dartmouth, I have correctly predicted that Chris Brown, Stephen Jackson and Terrell Suggs would turn out to be great picks and that Eagles first rounder Jerome McDougle would be a bust. Yet, I also made some poor assertions as well. I declared that 2003 seventh round Ravens pick Trent Smith, an OU tight end, would become a Pro Bowl player, while in reality he has made zero catches in two years. In addition, I stated that Texas Tech QB Kliff Klingsbury would become the Patriots backup. Klingsbury has not turned out to be the Patriots backup, and is now just hoping to get a chance to play for the Rhein Fire in NFL Europe.

This year, the draft was moved down the street from Madison Square Garden to the Jacob Javits Convention Center. Despite the Javits Center's enormous size, there were only seats for 1,000 to 2,000 people in the theater. As always, Mel Kiper, Chris Mortensen and a healthy assortment of grown men in full pads and helmets were at this year's draft. Sadly, this might be the final year the draft is held in New York City as there are rumors that the 2006 draft could be held in Orlando. Without further delay, here the draft's winners and losers.

Draft Day Winners:

Arizona Cardinals: A+

Anytime you get two or three starters in a draft, it has to be considered a success. In the 2005 draft, the Cardinals appear to have five starters for next year. In the first round, the Cardinals selected the best corner in my opinion in Antrel Rolle from Miami and later picked another solid corner in Eric Green out of Virginia Tech. The Cardinals also added Cal star running back J.J. Arrington who will replace the ancient Emmitt Smith. The Cards also added UVA standouts Elton Brown and Darryl Blackstock who should both slide in as starters on the offensive line and as outside linebacker. Could the Cardinals be for real this year? No, but in a year or two, expect the Cardinals to be the NFC West Champ.

Baltimore Ravens: A

The Ravens snatched up possibly the best defensive end in Dan Cody from Oklahoma. Originally projected to be a top 10-15 selection, reports of Cody's clinical depression led his stock to plummet. However, I think Cody should be a solid player as he's surrounded by Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, and other defensive stars. In addition, the Ravens added OT Adam Terry from Syracuse and OU wide receiver Mark Clayton who should both see significant playing time. In the sixth round, the Ravens selected Oregon State quarterback Derek Anderson. After seeing him play several times this season, the 6'6" quarterback has the tools to become a starter for the Ravens. Expect Anderson to quickly pass Kordell Stewart as backup, and push Kyle Boller for the starting job in training camp.

Kansas City Chiefs: A-

While draft guru Mel Kiper, Jr. gave the Chiefs a C, I think the Chiefs ended up with a steal at pick 15 and an overall great draft. At pick 15, the Chiefs picked Derrick Johnson, a linebacker from the University of Texas. Pegged to go as high as third on some draft boards, expect Johnson to immediately start for the Chiefs. For their second round pick, the Chiefs acquired Patrick Surtain, a top-five NFL corner from the Miami Dolphins. In the fourth round, the Chiefs drafted Craphonso Thorpe, a wide receiver out of Florida State. Craphonso, comes with the usual off the field FSU problems and also injury concerns. However, Craphonso runs a 4.4 and has been dominant at times at FSU, despite having possibly the worst name I have ever heard.

Draft Day Losers:

The Redskins and Raiders pretty much sealed their fate as last in their conferences for 2005 while the Broncos didn't help themselves in the battle for the AFC West.

Washington Redskins: F-

Wow. Let me get this straight, the Redskins used a first round pick on Patrick Ramsey two years ago, threw away a bunch of draft picks on Mark Brunell last year, and now wasted a first rounder this year plus another third, fourth and next year's first to get Jason Campbell? While Campbell improved his original score of 14 on the Wonderlic to a 28, he still spent three years lost in the Auburn system. In his senior year, with two top five picks in the backfield (Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams), Campbell finally played well. In the end, the Redskins now have three mediocre and overpaid quarterbacks.

Denver Broncos: F

The worst thing to hear along with any pick is that it was a "reach." For the Broncos, six picks were six reaches. In reaction to losing two straight playoff games to Peyton Manning and the Colts, the Broncos used their first three picks on developmental cornerbacks. In addition, the Broncos took Maurice Clarett about three rounds too early to throw him in the an already crowded backfield of Tatum Bell, Quentin Griffin, Mike Anderson and Heisman Trophy winner Ron Dayne.

Oakland Raiders: F

The Raiders drafted two extremely fast corners in Fabian Washington from Nebraska and Stanford Routt from Houston. One problem: neither guy can tackle. While many coaches seem to be concerned about a corner's inability to tackle, Al Davis doesn't seem to mind. Expect the Raiders to give up at least 30 points a game, again this year.

Other draft picks of note:

**The New England Patriots used the 230th selection to draft a USC quarterback. No, not Matt Leinart, but backup Matt Cassell. Yet, the Patriots intend to use the 6'5" Cassel not as a quarterback but as a tight end or receiver.

**With the 250th pick, the St. Louis Rams took Harvard quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick nearly tripled Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell's original score as Fitzpatrick posted a 38 on the Wonderlic Test. Fitzpatrick will battle Jamie Martin and Jeff Smoker for the spot behind Marc Bulger.

**Undrafted collegiate players of note:

Jason White- OU quarterback & Heisman trophy winner. Ryan Grant- Notre Dame RB. Brock Berlin- Miami QB. Byron Randall- Virginia Tech QB.

**Most likely quarterback taken late that could be a star?

Stefan LaFors: fourth round, Carolina Panthers.

Pre-season Playoff Picks:

Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Colts, Chiefs, Chargers

Giants, Vikings, Lions, Falcons, Panthers, Rams

Super Bowl XL Prediction: New England Patriots vs. New York Giants