Despite tough times, Big Green basketball survives winter break

Dartmouth men's basketball opened its Ivy League schedule last Sunday, traveling to Harvard University with hopes of snapping an all-too-familiar four-game losing streak. Despite 18 second-half points from emerging marksman Mike Lang '06, the Big Green fell short, settling for an entertaining 76-74 loss.

The winter break was not kind to the College's basketball program. Though rookie head coach Terry Dunn's team has shown definite promise, a bad injury to co-captain Steve Callahan '05 on the heels of sophomore stand-out Leon Pattman's departure has left the Big Green exactly where it was one year ago, 3-8.

Of course, Dartmouth's young season has not been all bad. Haunted by a brutal 18-game losing streak, the Big Green began the season with a stunning 66-61 upset of Quinnipiac University (currently 5-5). Down seven at halftime, Dartmouth caught fire in the second frame shooting 51.9% from the floor on its way to a hard-fought victory. The win marked the team's first 1-0 start since the 1999-2000 season and temporarily left Dunn the first undefeated coach in Big Green history.

However, any chance that Dunn would retire unbeaten was destroyed by Lehigh (6-6). Leaving the safety of Hanover for its first road game of the year, the Big Green fell 60-50 to the dangerous Mountain Hawks. The loss was followed by two more at hands of Maine (7-4) and Hartford (3-7).

Mired in a three-game skid, the Big Green suffered what many perceived as a season-ending blow. Pattman, last season's Ivy League Rookie of the Year and Dartmouth's leading scorer, quit. A reason was never given. The Big Green was without arguably its best player and undoubtedly its most prolific scorer.

"I was definitely concerned about losing three in a row as well as the rest of the team," Lang admitted, "but when you have another game in a couple days, all your focus has to be on winning that game and not worrying about your last loss."

And that is exactly what Dartmouth did. Thanks to the surprisingly mature play of freshmen Mike Giovacchini and Chuck Flynn, the Big Green rebounded with back-to-back wins over Division III Keene State (6-4) and the University of New Hampshire (5-6).

"There is a tremendous jump in the level of play from high school to college," Flynn said. "I wasn't sure how well I could adjust, but I feel great. The personal goal I set for myself for this season was to be a positive contributor on the team."

Dartmouth's first consecutive victories since the 2002-2003 season brought the College back to .500, but even when winning, not all was well in Hanover. Callahan, the Big Green's point guard and leader, went down against Keene State. He would not return for five games.

With a wounded backcourt, Dartmouth showed tremendous resolve holding off New Hampshire, but after a 74-57 drubbing at the hands of a very talented Hofstra team (9-1), the losses began to pile up.

Following the Pride game, Dartmouth traveled to the west coast for the first leg of a five-game road trip. Behind Lang's 31-point explosion off the bench, the Big Green battled into double-overtime before falling 98-87 to the University of California, Davis (5-7). Two days later, Dartmouth took on two-time defending Pac-10 champion Stanford (6-6) in a valiant but losing effort.

It has been a wild break for Big Green basketball. Dartmouth is finally healthy and -- following Wednesday night's game at Holy Cross -- back at home. Can the Big Green men win? Yes. Will they? Well, at least one man has an answer.

"If we take care of the ball and start knocking down free throws," Callahan said following the Harvard game, "we should be in good shape to make some noise in the league."

Dartmouth finishes up its road trip Wednesday against Holy Cross (7-4). The Crusaders defeated the Big Green 60-52 last year and currently rule the rivalry 65-31.