Students converge on Employment Fair

Hot. Congested. Just too much. Tuesday's campus job fair, which will continue today, did not receive rave reviews from students, despite Career Services' cheerful endorsement of the event.

Between 800 and 900 students visited the Hopkins Center yesterday for a preliminary introduction to the job market. With limited air conditioning, the environment was strained, but students were undeterred and continued to arrive until closing.

"It was overwhelming," said David Hankins '05. "I had even done research before I went and had a hard time finding any information that I couldn't have gotten elsewhere. The representatives were not particularly helpful either."

Kathryne Carr '06 found the fair crowded and frustrating. She, like many students, wished that the fair had more diversity in jobs and was not impressed with the opportunities available in the private sector. Carr was particularly surprised that the not-for-profit sector didn't have any jobs centered on women's issues, and said she found more relevant job advice from visiting the Tucker Foundation.

Still, some students found the fair a worthwhile experience and, according to Monica Wilson of Career Services, the employers were impressed with variety of students, the depth of questions and student turnout. Most students, even if reluctantly, will be returning today, when the fair continues from noon to 4 p.m. in the Hopkins Center.

"I was impressed with how well the fair was organized, and I was happy to find some educational opportunities that are not usually included in corporate recruiting," said Elizabeth Norton '05.

A greater diversity of completely new employers has been promised for today with companies from Abercrombie & Fitch Co., Citigroup Corporate & Investment Bank and the Vanguard Group, to the Peace Corps, the U.S. Census Bureau and the American Red Cross.

"The fair is a starting point where students can talk to alums and make connections that can go beyond just the day," Wilson said. "It is best if students go in knowing what they want to learn, and which companies they want to visit. If any student needs help or advice they can always visit either of the registration tables."