Seniors face tough choice in job search

The academic year has barely begun, but already, seniors are being inundated with messages about how to plan for their future. Besides the frequent reminders from Career Services about upcoming job workshops and career fairs, some seniors have been receiving letters from companies announcing when they will arrive on campus and requesting the students' presence when they do.

Campus wisdom says students receive such letters based on individual merit or academic concentration, but the letters are in fact initiated by students themselves when they register for Monstertrak, an online program that allows students to search for jobs and internships.

Monstertrak, available through Dartmouth Career Services, pairs recruiting companies with interested students based on students' designated areas of interest. Mailings occur throughout the fall as companies receive the names of students who might wish to work for their company.

The only information that is used to match students with companies is there fields of interest and their year of graduation.

Career Services does not assist companies with any e-mail recruiting and only offers a mailing label service based on what companies "order," according to Career Services assistant director Monica Wilson.

Employers are not permitted to e-mail students unsolicited, although they frequently get around that policy by contacting student organizations and having them forward on the information, Wilson said.

"Also, we have no control over Dartmouth alumni who are able to e-mail students that they often hear of through networking," Wilson said.

Wilson said Career Services welcomes companies contacting students who have registered with Monstertrak, as it is just another way to help students land a job.

Some students agreed.

"Getting company letters only makes this process easier," said Steve Callahan '05. "It is a reminder about the recruiting events coming up and helps make you more familiar with the process."

Other than Career Services' voluntary system, no other Dartmouth office provides any information about students to prospective employers.

"That is blatantly not what we do. Dartmouth does not give student information to anybody, especially to a third party company. Our answer is always the same; we have a strict policy against it," Dartmouth Registrar Polly Griffin said.

A large number of seniors receiving letters are economics majors, but the trend seems to have more to do with their fields of interest than their academic records.

"Academic departments do not disperse student information. Our policy is that there are methods of corporate recruiting that we would much prefer," said Jane Carroll of the Dean of the Faculty office.

But many students said they would welcome departments giving out major lists if it could assist them in finding a job post-graduation.

"Every little bit helps; you have to get your name out there," said Michael McLaren '05. "It would be cool if major departments could help students with finding employment."

"If students sign up for Monstertrak now, they can still be included in future mailings. Also if students want to see any letters that have already been sent out, we make sure to keep a copy on file that any student can request by blitzing SRS," Career Services' Wilson said, referring to the popular Student Recruiting Services option.