Big Green hockey squad surges in preseason polls

Dartmouth football is only two weeks into its season, but ice hockey is already stealing headlines. For several years, the Big Green (14-11-9 overall, 10-5-7 ECAC Hockey League) has been relegated to the role of bridesmaid -- so close yet so painfully far from league and national prominence. However, according to a couple of leading preseason polls, the College's wedding-bell blues may have come to an end.

Gathered in Albany's Pepsi Arena for the ECACHL's media day Tuesday, reporters learned that Dartmouth College owns the top spot in the league's pre-season media poll. In the ECACHL coaches' poll, the Big Green was awarded second-seed honors, tied with Colgate and a mere six points behind Cornell.

If that were not enough September excitement for a team that starts conference play in November, yesterday afternoon, college hockey's first national poll pegged Dartmouth College as the 11th-ranked program in the United States.

While the level of excitement surrounding Dartmouth hockey is undeniably high, so is the caliber of the team's top players. Lee Stempniak '05, coming off first-team All-League and All-America honors, is arguably the best player in the Northeast. The gifted forward and former high school valedictorian totaled 38 points last season and 49 the year before.

"Lee Stempniak is always a player to watch for," said Hugh Jessiman '06. "He gives his best every night and is a big game player. He's our leader."

Last Friday, Stempniak added to his resume when he was chosen by Inside College Hockey, Inc as a pre-season All-American. He is the only ECAC Hockey League player to make the first team and one of two selected.

Of course, one man does not a team make. Jessiman, a 2003 NHL first-round pick, also turned a few heads -- including Stempniak's -- amassing 33 points last season.

"Our entire lineup consists of players to watch for, but the one that comes to mind is Hugh Jessiman," Stempniak said. "He is the most talented player in the league and worked very hard in the off season to be a dominant player in the ECAC."

Grant Lewis '07, who made first-team All-League as a freshman, is widely considered one of the league's elite defensemen. Mix in a strong recruiting class lead by Canadian Junior "A" Player of the Year Nick Johnson '08, and Dartmouth boasts a line-up that can beat any team in the country.

The talent is in place. The hyping has begun. Now, the only thing left to do is win. Unfortunately, that's easier said than done. If preseason polls translated into championships, Duke would win the NCAA basketball tournament every other year.

Before Hanover's finest can start celebrating, they will have to face the ECAC semifinals, where the Big Green have fallen the past two years, as well as play a Cornell team stacked with 10 NHL draft picks and only one season removed from its 2003 Frozen Four appearance. Not that Dartmouth is complaining. No Big Green player doubts the challenges before them, just as no Big Green player doubts the final result.

"Obviously our goal is to win an ECAC championship," Jessiman said. "Anything less would be disappointing for our team."

Dartmouth football is only two weeks into its season, yet ice hockey is already stealing headlines. For several years, the Big Green (14-11-9 overall, 10-5-7 ECAC Hockey League) has been relegated to the role of bridesmaid, so close yet so painfully far from league and national prominence. However, according to a couple of leading pre-season polls, the College's Wedding Bell Blues have come to an end.

Gathered in Albany, NY's Pepsi Arena for the ECACHL's media day this past Tuesday, reporters learned that Dartmouth College owns the top spot in the League's pre-season media poll. In the ECACHL coach's poll, the Big Green was awarded second-seed honors, tied with Colgate and a mere six points behind Cornell.

If that was not enough September excitement for a team that starts conference play in November, yesterday afternoon, college hockey's first national poll pegged Dartmouth College as the 11th ranked program in the United States of America.

Last Friday, Stempniak added a pre-season All-America nod to his resume as chosen by Inside College Hockey, Inc. He is the only ECAC Hockey League player to make the first team and one of two selected.

Of course, one man does not a team make. Hugh Jessiman, a 2003 NHL first-round pick, also turned a few heads - including Stempniak's - amassing 33 points last season.

Grant Lewis '07 " first-team All-League as a freshman - is widely considered one of the league's elite defensemen. Mix in a strong recruiting class lead by Canadian Junior "A" Player of the Year Nick Johnson '08, and Dartmouth College boasts a line-up that can beat any team in the country.

Before Hanover's finest can start celebrating, it will have to solve the ECAC semifinals, where the Big Green has fallen the past two years, as well as a Cornell team stacked with 10 NHL draft picks and only one season removed from its 2003 Frozen Four appearance - not that Dartmouth's complaining. No Big Green player doubts the challenges before them, just as no Big Green player doubts the final result.

"Obviously our goal is to win an ECAC championship," Jessiman stated. "Anything less would be disappointing for our team."