College rallies behind Shannon

Members of the Dartmouth community have been keeping vigil over Michael Shannon '06, who has been in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit of Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center for several days following a life threatening infection and struggle with toxic shock syndrome.

An offensive tackle on the Dartmouth football team, Mike first checked into the hospital 10 days ago, at the insistence of his father, Dr. Michael Shannon.

On Sunday, Aug. 1, Mike told his father that he was suffering from an extremely high fever and experiencing difficulty standing on one leg.

Dr. Shannon immediately drove to campus and brought his son to DHMC.

The apparent source of Mike's illness was a red area on one of his legs -- the remnant of a bruise sustained during a spring football practice that had never healed properly.

Mike appeared to have a bacterial infection and underwent evening surgery on Wednesday, Aug. 4, to drain the fluid from his leg.

He contracted a strep or staff infection that evening, his mother, Carolyn Shannon, said.

However, his well-conditioned body rapidly recovered from the infection.

"Mike got very sick, but because he's a highly conditioned athlete, his body responded," his father said.

Unfortunately, Mike's remarkably quick response to the infection caused his body to produce toxins, and he went into toxic shock syndrome early Thursday morning.

Mike stabilized, but required a respiratory device in order to breathe.

As of Monday, Mike was still in the intensive care unit. However, he was taken off respiratory support devices Monday afternoon and his father expressed hope that he would be moved to a regular hospital room today.

"He is breathing on his own, and it is our hope that he will be out of the ICU," Dr. Shannon said. His teammates are also hopeful, as they have encouraged students on campus to keep Mike in their prayers.

Michael and Carolyn Shannon have both been extremely appreciative of the outpouring of support that Mike has received from members of the Dartmouth community.

In an effort to give Michael and Carolyn Shannon a break, members of the football team have been watching over Mike from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. for hour-long shifts ever since Mike's condition degenerated early Thursday morning.

"Everyone has stepped up," Dr. Shannon said.

The Shannon's have also been in constant contact with the football coaching staff, Director of College Health Services Dr. John Turco, Dean of the College James Larimore and Upperclass Dean Teoby Gomez.

"Mike was very seriously ill, and it really looks like he's very fortunate that his dad got up here and got him into the hospital right away," head football coach John Lyons said. "He got great care over there at the hospital. Thank God he's going to be okay."

While Dr. Shannon called this time "the most challenging point in [his] life," he lauded Mike's friends, coaches and the entire Dartmouth community.

"As a Dartmouth parent, it's been an honor," Dr. Shannon said. "It has just been so touching how the hospital and the Dartmouth community responded. I just can't say enough as a doctor."