Two down: One re-laxing summer in Hanover

Editor's Note: This is the first installment in a series of articles profiling members of the Class of 2006 on Dartmouth varsity sports teams.

The sophomore women's laxers arrived at Dartmouth for sophomore summer with chips on their shoulders from their team's crushing 6-5 loss to Princeton in the NCAA tournament quarterfinals. They've since used the defeat as added motivation to carry them through the dog days of summer.

"I use it as a reminder not to settle with simply making it to the NCAAs," goaltender Devon Wills '06 said. "We were three minutes from the Final Four, and now I think we have that taste and know that making the Elite Eight is not enough anymore."

At the midpoint of their college careers, Dartmouth's '06 women's lax players said they are poised for a strong rebound as they become senior members of their 2005 squad, and they have the track record prove it.

The '06 class lived up to its billing as one of the finest recruited groups in the nation upon arrival at Dartmouth in Fall 2002 and has demonstrated that it has the players to sit comfortably amid a team tradition of excellence, which includes two NCAA tournament appearances in two seasons.

Leading the way for the '06 women's class is Wills, a 2004 third-team All-American. That season, Wills started all 16 games for the Big Green en route to becoming only the third Dartmouth player to earn Ivy Rookie of the Year honors.

As part of the team's summer training, Wills and company practice lacrosse only once a week, but they participate in team strength workouts at least three times per week, Wills said.

Beyond Wills, the '06 women's class has deep reserves on both ends of the field. Defenders Lizzy Cuneo '06 and Andrea Smith '06 are training this summer in anticipation of a dueling task in 2005. Cuneo, a perennial starter, and Smith, with five starts in 2004, will be counted on to fill the void left by All-American defender Rowan Smith '04.

Engineering the '06 women's offensive attack are a trio of top-performing midfielders -- Kristen Zimmer '06, Casey Hazel '06 and Annie Leibovitz '06 -- who will be expected to contribute even more following the graduation of high scorers Kate Killen '04 and Lana Smith '04.

Zimmer and Hazel have been consistent contributors in their two seasons in Hanover, totalling 35 and 45 career points, respectively.Leibovitz emerged as a force in 2004, tallying 15 points in 12 starts after a three-point freshman season. The midfielder credited her 2004 season scoring boom to adjustments that she made following the 2003 season.

"As a freshman, you're still adjusting to the speed of the game as compared to high school, especially from high school lacrosse in Colorado, where the level of play is inferior to that of the East Coast," Leibovitz said.

Leibovitz said she anticipates an even larger role in 2005. "Hopefully I will become a greater threat on attack to help ease the pressure on Katieanne Christian ['05,]" Leibovitz said.

With two seasons down and two more to go, the '06 women's lacrosse class is not content to coast through their careers dwelling on the successes they have achieved to this point.

"I think the team's expectation is to dominate Ivy play, and certainly to make the NCAA tournament again," Leibovitz said.

It may be too early to speculate, however, judging by foundation the '06 women's class has laid down by this midpoint in their collegiate careers, Princeton may be harder pressed to escape the wrath of the Big Green again should they meet in post-season play next season.