Police, S&S give students insight into alcohol policy

Police officials, Dartmouth officials and one student addressed some unsettling trends regarding alcohol-related arrests and answered questions pertaining to particular Summer-term liabilities in a panel discussion entitled "Police, Parkhurst, S&S and You" on Tuesday.

A substantial portion of the panel focused on the repercussions of a recent New Hampshire law that made it possible for police to prosecute "internal possession" of alcohol by underage individuals.

Since legislation regarding internal possession was enacted in January 2003, Hanover Police captain Frank Moran estimated that the number of alcohol-related arrests have increased three to four-fold.

"Our business, whether we like it or not, has gone up," Moran said.

For a first-time offender, an internal possession charge can be expunged following the successful completion of the town of Hanover's alcohol diversion program.

Because of this option, Moran encouraged Greek leaders not to overreact and not to "encourage your friends to overreact."

According to Moran, prior to the enactment of the internal possession law, 90 percent of alcohol-related arrests were for open container violations.

With respect to the increase in arrests and the perceived increase in police presence on campus, Moran admitted that, "Sometimes some of our guys seem overzealous."

Two to three police cars patrol downtown Hanover and the College on a typical night and, according to Moran, their presence is needed to limit burglaries and other crimes.

"We like to give the appearance of a lot of cars," Moran said.

When questioned about outdoor parties at private off-campus residences, Moran said that patrolmen can and may stop and investigate a scene if they suspect that they are witnessing a violation of alcohol laws.

"Even if one of them looks under 21, [a patrolman] can stop," Moran said.

College Proctor Harry Kinne subsequently addressed the role of Safety and Security on campus, particularly with respect to the Greek system during the Summer term.

During the summer, Safety and Security is "less likely to come into your [Greek] house because you're not having registered parties," Kinne told the Greek leaders.

Safety and Security will continue to conduct all of its regular once-a-week "walk-throughs" of Greek organizations. Kinne noted that the department's "personal goal is consistency."

Marcia Kelly, the director of Undergraduate Judicial Affairs, commented mostly on issues of College discipline.

Kelly said that she was very pleased with the decrease in Greek organizational hearings before the Organizational Adjudication Committee.

After 19 cases in the fall, Kelley said the number of cases declined in the Winter term and sunk even lower in the spring.

Kelly did express concern over the increasing Blood Alcohol Content levels of students brought to Dick's House and Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Kelly said that she has also seen an increase in DUI arrests

Several officials expressed hope that the panel would make up part of a dialogue that will improve relations with Greek organizations.

"We hope that today is the beginning of a series of conversations," Kelly said.

The presidents, social chairs and risk managers of all of Dartmouth's fraternities and sororities were required to attend the panel, which was the first installment of a four-part series titled "Beer, Booze and Being Busted: The Party Scene at Dartmouth."