WEB UPDATE

A senior infielder became the highest drafted Big Green baseball player in the 15-year tenure of head coach Bob Whalen at this year's Major League Baseball amateur draft held on Monday and Tuesday.

Shortstop Edward Lucas '04 was selected by the Kansas City Royals in the eighth round, with the 235th pick overall.

"Its nice to go to an organization that puts a premium on developing players through the draft system," Lucas said.

In total, approximately 1,500 players were taken over the course of 50 rounds.

Lucas was the fourth Ivy League player selected in the draft, following a pair of prospects from perennial Dartmouth rival and 2004 Ivy League baseball champions Princeton University, and a Columbia University centerfielder.

Princeton centerfielder Brandon Szymanski, drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the second round with the 48th pick overall, was the first Ivy League player chosen in the draft.

Teammate pitcher Curtis Ohlendorg followed in the fourth round, selected by the Arizona Diamondbacks with the 116th pick overall.

With the 195th pick overall and the fourth pick in the seventh round, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays chose Columbia centerfielder Fernandez. The next round, Lucas' name went up on the draft board.

"I am absolutely thrilled for Ed," Whalen said. "It is a legitimate validation for his ability, a culmination for his hard work, and the way that he has played this year."

In addition to being named team MVP, Lucas earned Dartmouth Baseball's Best Offensive Player award, and was a First Team All-Ivy League selection for the third consecutive year, following a career year at the plate in 2004.

"This season showed people in professional baseball that Ed is a premium player," Whalen said.

In 42 games, Lucas batted .405, with 70 hits, a .584 slugging percentage, 17 doubles and 101 total bases - all team highs.

Lucas also finished the season with 47 runs scored and 36 runs batted in, ranking the shortstop second on the team in both categories behind outfielder Scott Shirrell '04.

In 2003, Lucas finished second on the team with a .347 average and also placed second in hits, RBIs and walks. Lucas ended his 2003 season with 50 hits, 33 RBIs and 25 runs

As a sophomore, Lucas hit .326 on the season - second-best on the team. Lucas scored 26 runs and drove in 21, while his .410 on-base percentage tied him for third-best on the squad.

Whalen admitted that the shortstop's graduation to the pros would be a tough separation for a Big Green team that has relied on his talent ever since he became a regular player during the 2002 season.

"You don't lose kids who are Ivy League Player of the Year and expect that a freshman or sophomore can fill his void immediately," Whalen said.

Lucas' teammate, senior co-captain Tim Grant '04 was taken on the second day of the draft. Grant was selected by the San Francisco Giants in the 35th round, with the 1066 pick overall.

Whalen said that the Vancouver, British Columbia native would have been drafted higher were it not for recent modifications to Immigration and Naturalization Services procedures.

"I wasn't really sure what was going to happen," Grant said. "In the end, I am glad I was taken by a good organization, and I'm sure we'll be able to work through the visa stuff."

This year, professional ball clubs were reluctant to chose international earlier rounds because the new INS process complicates the visa process for international MLB draftees, Whalen said.

"Strictly based on ability, most teams had him slotted higher to be taken before immigration became an issue," Whalen said. "Teams will realize that Tim [Grant] is of the same status as Eddie [Lucas]."

Grant finished the 2004 season with a 5-4 record and a 4.57 earned run average. Grant finished second on the pitching staff with 63 innings pitched and led the rotation with five complete games.

In Summer 2003, Grant was a Reserve All Star in the heralded Cape Cod Baseball league, where he pitched for the Bourne Braves.

Additionally, Grant's 15 wins and 216 innings pitched for the Big Green earned the pitcher a place in the Men's Baseball career record book at tenth and sixth place, respectively.

At present, both Grant and Lucas are unsure where they will be assigned within their team organizations.

"Chances are, I won't be able to play this year because of the visa thing," Grant said. "That is something I will be able to find out more about in the next few days."

However, Grant said if the problem is resolved soon, he expects that he will be sent to the San Francisco Giants training facility in Arizona and begin pitching in an instruction league come fall.

"It will be a welcomed change to be able to play outside all year round," Grant said.

Lucas said that he spoke to Kansas City Royal scouts on Monday following the draft, but is still pending assignment.