Okafor and Howard vie for top pick in NBA Draft

With the deadline over for underclassmen to declare NBA draft eligibility, scouts from across the leagues will convene in the pre-draft camps and at individual workouts in the ensuing weeks to gauge the talent available.

As underclassmen and high school players dominate the top of recent drafts -- two of the last three top choices, Lebron James and Kwame Brown, never played in college -- teams are relying less and less on experience and game-proven talent and more on potential, making the next month of scouting imperative for draft success.

Here's a brief look at some of the top underclassmen available.

1. Josh Childress, Stanford University, SF. At 6-feet 8-inches and only 205 pounds, Childress undoubtedly will be forced in the weight room early in his NBA career to work on his strength and size. Despite his thin build, Childress possesses a full array of talents, drawing comparisons to the likes of George Gervin and Grant Hill. His long arms, athleticism, and guard-type skills for a forward's frame -- not to mention three years experience against solid division I competition -- appear very enticing to many teams across the league.

2. Josh Smith, Oak Hill Academy, Va., SF/PF. Hoosier hearts across the country broke when Smith reneged on his commitment to Indiana, instead declaring himself eligible for the NBA. However, Bloomington's loss will be the NBA's gain, as the athletic Smith should find his way into the lottery.

At 6-feet 8-inches and 220 pounds, Smith will move from his high school position of power forward to the small forward spot in the NBA. His combination of speed, propensity for rebounding, and overall potential make him one of this year's top high schoolers.

1. Andre Iguodala, University of Arizona, SG/SF. Despite averaging a meager 12 points per game during his sophomore season, Iguodala's athleticism -- unmatched by any player in the draft pool -- sets him apart as a sure-fire lottery pick. With his NBA-ready body, great ball-handling skills for a small forward and superior man-to-man defensive skills, Iguodala should be able to contribute immediately to any team willing to work with him on his shooting skills.

2. J.R. Smith, St. Benedict's, N.J., SG. Another high school prospect, Smith's shooting ability and offensive prowess supersede any lack of experience. With stellar performances in the McDonald's High School All American Game and the EA Sports Roundball Classic, Smith showed the offensive skills necessary to land him in the first round. His ability to shoot consistently well out to 25 feet combined with his ability to drive to the basket should cement Smith as a high pick in the eyes of most scouts.

3. Ben Gordon, University of Connecticut, PG/SG. Though his production this year was down slightly from his sophomore season, Gordon redeemed himself with strong performances in the Big East and NCAA tournaments, en route to the National Championship.

While his offensive skills leave little to question, Gordon's lack of a true position -- he plays either point or shooting guard -- could hurt him slightly on draft day. That said, as a proven offensive talent, Gordon will easily find himself in the lottery.

1. Devin Harris, University of Wisconsin, PG. Harris, a player unbeknownst to many at this time last year, played his way into prominence this past season leading the Badgers to the Big Ten championship. A more "pure" point guard than Gordon, Harris matches Gordon's offensive prowess and also possesses three years experience leading his team from the point position. His shooting and penetration ability complement his on-court leadership, and many teams at the top of the draft could use Harris' all-around offense.

2. Luol Deng, Duke University, SF. The top candidate to become this year's Carmelo Anthony, Deng led the Blue Devils to the final four as a freshman behind his all-around game. At 6-feet 8-inches, 230 lbs. with remarkable athleticism, many believe that Deng will excel in the NBA as a small forward. Although a streaky shooter, Deng makes up for his lack of consistency with tenacious rebounding, ability to drive to the basket and the man on man defensive skills necessary to play against the premier small forwards in the NBA.

3. Shaun Livingston, Peoria HS, Ill., PG. Compounding Duke's loss of Deng to the draft, Livingston recently opted for the draft over a season in Durham. A true point guard at 6-feet 7-inches, teams will overlook Livingston's meager size -- only 185 pounds -- in favor of his court vision, ball-handling deftness and uncanny passing ability. Livingston may not make an instant impact due to the constraints of his size, but teams will be hard-pressed to pass on his potential.

4. Dwight Howard, Atlanta Christian HS, Ga., PF. If the Atlanta Hawks land the top overall pick, Howard could very likely be chosen there and proceed to play near his hometown in a situation reminiscent of Lebron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers last year.

At 6-feet 11-inches and nearly 250 pounds, Howard has the size at 18 years old that many teams covet. Though the fear of another Kwame Brown result plays prominently for teams near the top of the draft board, Howard's strong character and the dearth of quality front line players in the draft should cement Howard as a top choice.

1. Emeka Okafor, University of Connecticut, PF/C. Arguably the safest pick in the draft and the player most ready to produce immediately, Okafor appears to be a mirror image of a young Alonzo Mourning. Though he lacks NBA-quality low post moves offensively, Okafor consistently demonstrated fantastic on-the-ball defense and strong offensive and defensive rebounding.

In his three years at UConn, Okafor also became one of the greatest shot-blockers in the history of college basketball. Named the Final Four's most outstanding player for the national champion Huskies, Okafor's leadership and work ethic -- he graduates this spring as a junior with a 3.7 GPA -- separate from the rest of the underclassmen, thereby guaranteeing him one of the top spots in the draft.