Verbum Ultimum

If you happened to have strolled through the Hop yesterday, you may have run into Sen. John Edwards heading down the stairs after his town hall forum. Or perhaps you were walking along Main Street and you ran into Gov. Howard Dean and Rob Reiner heading into Lou's to tape Letterman's Top 10. Maybe you'll see Ambassador Carol Moseley-Braun today in Rocky or Sen. John Kerry tomorrow in Cook. Or perhaps you managed to snag one of those rare tickets to the debate in Moore on Sunday.

Either way, if you don't make it to at least one of these events, you're missing out on a rare chance to rub elbows with the folks in charge of this country. And if you're not planning on voting next Tuesday, you're missing out on an opportunity to shape this nation's future.

For many, this is the only chance we'll get to experience this sort of political firestorm firsthand. The nature of the primary election schedule is a strange anomaly, and many are pushing to rob New Hampshire of its first-in-the-nation status. But this year, at least, it all starts right here.

Iowa's unexpected results have significantly altered the dynamics of the race -- turning what was once thought to be an sure win for Dean into a competitive four-way street fight. You can make a difference in the way this election unfolds -- thereby influencing the direction of the country -- just by making a couple phone calls, talking to a friend or showing up to a rally. And if you want to make a serious difference, all it takes is a short walk over to Hanover High on Tuesday, and a few minutes to cast a ballot.

To borrow a cliched slogan from Howard Dean's campaign: "You have the power." It's true. And you may be sorry if you miss out on such a unique opportunity.

***