Power of the People

The air is getting chilly, the days are getting shorter and the leaves are changing colors. As you walk around campus on yet another bright, crisp morning, the vibrant red and orange of the leaves all announce the same thing -- fall is finally here. But this fall is different, it is special, it is a phenomenon that returns only once in every four years. You guessed it, it is the fall before a presidential election year and the fun is just about to start.

I realize that a lot of people don't really view politics as "fun." And of course, that makes a lot of sense. When you view politics from afar, it seems as though the playing field is filled with seasoned politicians who have mastered the art of speaking for hours without saying anything and who know exactly how to tap all the key demographics in order to raise money and get elected. More importantly, it seems as though the politicians are catering to the interests of the older members of the society, effectively ignoring the primarily non-voting population of college-age adults. And on top of it all, news from inside the Beltway is often tainted with stories of corruption, scandal and cover-ups. When you consider all these factors, it's no wonder that apathy and skepticism plague much of the country when it comes to politics. Nothing is ever going to change no matter who is in power, so why bother caring, right?

Wrong. There are many problems with the institution of democracy and even more problems with the way democracy functions in this country. "Freedom" and "democracy" sometimes seem like popular illusions, meant to satisfy the delicate sensibilities of the masses. But no matter how strongly you disagree with or disapprove of the system, it is important for you -- as an intelligent, questioning Dartmouth student -- to stand up and take notice of what's going on around you and most importantly, to vote. Does every vote really count? I would like to think so. If each and every eligible college student in this country had voted in the last election, perhaps we wouldn't have Bush as our president right now.

So clearly it's important to vote and I'm sure all of you have heard this from a million sources countless times before. Then why is it that the voter turnout in this country, especially in our age group, is so low? Why is it that so many people just don't care? Is it because it seems like things will just never change? Or do people just assume that someone else will follow his or her civic consciousness and make a difference. Are we all just being plain lazy?

I think that the answer lies in a combination of all these factors. I find it really hard to understand, though, because it just doesn't make any sense. One of the bumper stickers on my car says "Question Authority," and while many take that to mean that I'm being some kind of rebellious, anti-establishment teenager, the truth is that the spirit of that statement is the basis of freedom and democracy. Democracy is not a passive state of existence -- democracy can only thrive if the citizens constantly contemplate the issues at hand and challenge and question the people who have the authority to act on these issues.

A lot of you will probably tell me that politics just doesn't interest you. But this isn't a matter of interest; it's a matter of your rights and your voice. If you don't vote or don't care, then in a way, you have relinquished your right to complain about and question the people in power. Every decision made by every politician will affect you in some way in your lifetime -- whether it's key appointments to the Supreme Court and the Fed or legislation about healthcare and the environment. We don't have the luxury not to care because the costs of ignorance and apathy are too high. Maybe it's nave of me to assume that things can actually change if every eligible voter in the country actually voted. Maybe the cynics are right -- maybe things will never actually change, no matter who gets elected, but we won't know for sure till we try right?

As primary season approaches, we have the unique opportunity of observing the electoral process up close because New Hampshire will soon take center stage in national politics. So this is my challenge to you -- whether you're a Democrat or a Republican or an independent or whatever -- educate yourself on the issues, get to know all the candidates, inform yourself about their platforms and when the time comes, vote. We live in a society of instant gratification -- I can't promise you that you will see results right away. But have a little faith in yourself and your ability to make a difference. If nothing else, at the end of the day, you can take solace in the knowledge that you did your part. And maybe this time, all the votes will actually count.