Dartmouth Outing Club takes the road less traveled

The Dartmouth Outing Club has always been the jewel in Dartmouth's crown of student organizations. The largest student organization on campus can also claim a longer history than any other outing club in the nation. The DOC, as it's affectionately known, was founded some 94 years ago to "stimulate interest in out-of-door winter sports."

Students can also credit the Outing Club with the 1911 founding of Winter term's big celebration, Winter Carnival, a weekend of such traditions as the ice sculpture, Polar Bear swim and, until its much-lamented demise a few years ago, Psi Upsilon fraternity's "keg jump."

A wide-range of opportunities within the organization's 11 distinct clubs abound for everyone from the committed Idaho outdoors-person to the Park Avenue born-and-bred. As the 2003 Summer President Merrick Johnston '05 said, "It is amazing that the Outing Club can provide activities for anyone who has just the smallest interest for the outdoors."

Paddle On

Among the most popular of Outing Club affiliates, the Ledyard Canoe Club rents out whitewater and flatwater kayaks and canoes from their dock just a short walk down the hill from the Tree Houses and the River Cluster on a seasonal basis to students interested in looking for a little excitement in between classes. Particularly popular are early morning "pancake paddles" and Summer term "moonlight paddles."

The annual "Sophomores from the Source" is just one of the many longer trip that Ledyard members lead. Each summer a group of sophomores paddles from the source of the Connecticut River back to Ledyard. These longer trips allow seasoned paddlers to pass on their enthusiasm and skills to their classmates.

For the less hardcore among us, outdoor physical education classes every Fall, Summer and Spring term teach the basics of paddling, eskimo rolls and staying afloat.

Take a Hike

Cabin and Trail, Dartmouth's popular hiking club, is perhaps the most accessible of the clubs for students with a general interest in exploring the surrounding wilderness. Just like at Ledyard, C&T veterans lead anyone interested in activities such as day hikes for all ability levels, overnight backpacking trips and more eclectic events such as excursions to a corn maze.

C&T also has more serious obligations -- namely the maintenance of 11 cabins, countless shelters and some 75 miles of the Appalachian Trail, including the sections traversing Dartmouth's famed Mt. Moosilauke and 20 miles of trail extending into neighboring Vermont. These cabins and trails are then opened to anyone possessing an Outing Club membership.

The Best of the Rest

Members of the Dartmouth Mountaineering Club scale, climb and offer various levels of physical education both outdoors and in the climbing gym located in the River Apartments. The more experienced climbers are always ready to give a leg-up to anyone interested in climbing and often lead trips to Rumney, a popular climbing venue nearby.

The Cycling Club offers competition and instruction in road and mountain biking. The Club has been extremely successful in the last few years; this year they were the top team in the Ivy League. The Dartmouth Ski Patrol watches out for winter enthusiasts at the Dartmouth Skiway while providing medical safety support to other Outing Club groups year-round.

Snowboarding Club members take day trips to backcountry areas, nearby resorts and competitions; the Winter Sports Club runs activities including skiing, winter camping and snowshoeing.

The Environmental Studies division works to increase environmental education and activism, while Women in the Wilderness instill members with confidence and leadership training along with outdoor skills.

Bait and Bullet organizes area fishing and hunting trips, and Boots and Saddles operates out of the Dartmouth Riding Center in nearby Etna, N.H.

The Outing Club owes it's existence to members passing along their talents to the newer generations of students and if the past 94 years are any indication, the future of the Outing Club is only to grow in clubs, membership and fun.