Town votes down zoning restrictions

The College averted a crisis last night when citizens at the annual Hanover Town Meeting voted against proposals that would have crippled several long-anticipated construction projects.

Work on the planned North Campus expansion -- including a new 500-bed super-cluster -- will continue unhinged, despite attempts by several Hanover townspeople to pass restrictive amendments to town zoning laws.

Approximately 800 residents voted against each of the four controversial amendments, which included height and setback restrictions, while around 400 citizens voted affirmatively. All other zoning amendments were approved by large margins.

Petitioners claimed that the amendments would preserve the residential feel of neighborhoods around Maynard Street and Rope Ferry Road by creating a "gentler transition" between the institutional zone and the residential zone.

College Provost Barry Scherr had been a vocal opponent of these measures.

While the outcome of the decisions was determined by all-day ballot voting, raucous debate over hand-vote proposals occupied much of the early meeting.

The contested Gile Tract proposal passed resoundingly after impassioned speeches from the community at large.

The patch of land near Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, under development by the Vital Communities non-profit organization, will provided a sustainable, low-to-moderate income housing neighborhood as an alternative for members of the Hanover workforce who cannot currently afford to live in Hanover.

Though most people who spoke during the meeting opposed or were unsure of Vital Communities' plans for the Gile Tract, few others voted against the proposal.

Voter Robin Carpenter said, "Every study on Earth shows that socio-economic status is the dominant factor in academic success." He also said that the overall prestige of the Dresden school system would be brought down if more low-to-moderate income children were admitted. The crowd responded with jeers.

Bob Strauss, director of the Affordable Housing Coalition and Rebecca Heller '05, a Dartmouth student who had led the student support movement for the Gile Tract, also made statements and fielded questions from several opponents, many of whom had brought prepared speeches.

After its clear victory in a hand-vote, there was much celebration, and a sizable majority of the crowd left the building.

Several citizens brought up their concerns regarding the added burden on Hanover schools and Hanover public services, most notably the already over-extended waste water treatment plant. Opposing voters worried that already steep Hanover property taxes would increase even more with the addition of more students.

Eligible voters in Hanover convene once a year at a town meeting, when each resolution is read, and the floor is open to discussion by anyone who wishes to speak.

At that time, resolutions have been pre-screened and are noted as being either supported or not supported by either the Town Planning Board of the Board of Selectmen.

Along with hard resolutions that change town policy, the town also gives our citations and various other awards during the town meeting to outstanding community members, retiring public servants, and various other citizens.

Everyone present for the meeting is then allowed to vote through a number of channels including show of hands, voice or ballot. Sallie Johnson, the town clerk, said at last night's meeting that Hanover had been practicing what she called "pure democracy" for more than 230 years.