Donahoe '82 will join Trustee Board

John Donahoe '82 will begin his term on the Board of Trustees following Commencement on June 8 as the newest alumnus on the Board. Donahoe was recently elected to serve a five-year term by the at-large Dartmouth alumni community over fellow nominees Elyse Benson Allen '79 and Richard Lewis '84. R. Bradford Evans '64 will also join the Board of Trustees as a charter trustee.

"John Donahoe and Brad Evans are leaders in their fields and very active alumni," said Susan Dentzer '77, chair of the Board of Trustees. "They have already contributed considerably to Dartmouth's advancement through their continuing involvement with and service to the College. The Board looks forward to welcoming them and working with them."

College President James Wright echoed Dentzer's positive reception of the newest trustees.

"We are delighted to welcome to the Board two distinguished alumni who are deeply committed to Dartmouth and willing to devote their time and energy to the good work of the college," Wright said.

Trustees are selected through two different channels. Alumni Trustees are first nominated by the Alumni Council and then elected by the over 60,000 Dartmouth Alumni across the globe. Charter trustees are appointed by the Board of Trustees and do not necessarily have to be alumni of the College.

No matter how a trustee is elected, he or she shares equal power once an official part of the Board.

In an interview with The Dartmouth during elections, Donahoe had said his tenure as a trustee would focus on maintaining the "soul" of Dartmouth, while at the same time expanding the "intellectual vitality" characteristic of a university setting.

"At the most fundamental level, Dartmouth must remain one of the top educational institutions in the world. It is only by maintaining a top tier, globally-known reputation that the College will be able to continue to attract and retain the top faculty and highest potential students. This is the lifeblood of any institution of higher education," he said.

Donahoe also stressed the importance of an interdisciplinary, multi-cultural education. Donahoe told The Dartmouth he planned to promote this through "discussion of world events and Dartmouth-related issues" in both "formal and informal mechanisms as well as the classroom environment and social alternatives."

Donahoe is currently World Wide Managing Director of Bain and Company, a global consulting firm, and serves on the Advisory Board for Stanford Business school where he is also an alumnus.

While at Dartmouth, Donahoe was an economics major and graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa. He was also a member of Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity and Dragon Senior Society, a member of the junior varsity basketball team and president of Aquinas House.

Evans is a managing director at Morgan Stanley Dean Witter and a vice chairman of Morgan Stanley's investment banking department.

He is also a member of the Board of Overseers at Columbia Business school where he is also an alumnus. Evans was a sociology major and after graduating from Dartmouth served in the U.S. Navy.

He has been active in his class's alumni community, and has devoted many hours to the Class of 1964 25th Reunion Gifts Committee.