Taking Appropriate Actions

Adil Ahmad, in his April 28 letter "Students First?" wrote "It is high time that the community members understand that they are not the only ones who are suffering from the housing shortage. If the town is willing to donate land for employee housing, it should also donate land for student lodging. Objecting to the construction of new dormitories will definitely alienate students from the community." To this, I offer two critiques:

First of all, the town has not yet even passed the article which would have some land developed (free of charge to the town) for affordable housing. A group of students is working in conjunction with a local group trying to get this article passed at all; so it is hardly the time or place to ask the town of Hanover to donate land for student housing. Mr. Ahmad also seems to assume that town residents would enjoy students' company, or at least see it in their best interests somehow, "Hanover [being] a college town" and all, to support students residing off-campus. On the contrary, students have an image as noisy, drunken residents who drive nearby property values down. The shop owners who seem welcoming don't necessarily live in the area, and students will find places to live regardless of what the town does -- it has its own concerns, it is ridiculous to think that it would donate land for students.

The latter parts of his statements sound rather high-handed; this "definitely alienating students from the community" sounds like it is meant as a threat. But is it, really? "The community" -- and note, the community that resides here is mostly not people we students have any contact with -- doesn't have any vested interest in us: we are only here for four years whereas they might live in the area all their life. It would be rather arrogant of us to try to shape the town against their will. Furthermore, I find the attitude taken in that letter disturbing; it is true "Hanover would not be a college town without Dartmouth College," but Hanover is not for students to do with as they will, either. Forget about students being alienated by the community; the community is already alienated by us.

Secondly, shouldn't our "community" really include employees, too? Think of how much we benefit from the employees. They are certainly part of what we sense as community and the campus could not run without them. Yes, we are here "to study," but it would be both callous and short-sighted to ignore those around us.

If one went through life thinking: "Okay! It's high school now! Time to focus on getting into a good university! Okay! It's university now! Time to study up! Okay! Graduated now. Time to work one's way up in a corporate ladder! Oh, hey, what do you know, time to have kids" -- I guess my only question would be, would there ever be a time for a "Time to worry about the community around me?"

Admittedly, time is always crunched here, but I think there are salient reasons why it is important for students to care about their community. I think, or at least hope, that people recognize that in their heart of hearts. In working with the community, we can certainly learn a lot.

I think we all agree that both student and employee housing are important. Some are working on employee housing; feel free to work on student housing. But please take it to the cash-strapped College, not to the town. In the midst of budget cuts everywhere, good luck, but sure -- try "rallying alumni." Personally, I bet that students, on average, would rather alumni money go to things besides housing; students have a habit of making do, particularly with living conditions. But if it is true that the need is strong enough, go campaign for it. Just don't undermine or underemphasize the importance of employee housing at the same time.

I must admit it puzzles me why anyone would be "justified in being angry" at attempts to better employee housing. This is not an either/or situation. Instead, it covers two completely different spheres, namely the College and student housing and Hanover and employee housing. Instead of pouring wrath through letters to the editor, it might be more effective for everyone to go take action through the appropriate channels.