Local songsmith Syd dreams big

"Clarity is good, but I'm a little too clear sometimes," the singer-songwriter who goes by the name of Syd admitted before his performance at the Big Green Bean Friday night. His lyrics are often about life and relationships, and that directness makes his songs seem even more real and earnest.

Syd lit up the Bean with his show of acoustic solo tunes and wit. The hour-long concert featured songs from his debut album "Week Days, Weak Knees" and a medley of rock covers dedicated to the Upper Valley's own 99 Rock. He also premiered a few new songs -- some so new that the lyrics weren't yet finished.

"This is the place where I try stuff like that," Syd told the audience.

Currently a junior at Emerson College in Boston, Syd could be heard strumming away on the guitar, skillfully stacking chords on top of one another, and the room was filled with a young but resonating voice.

Before the show, the laid-back Thetford, Vt., native took time to talk with The Dartmouth about his budding career in music. Syd has grown up around the arts, with an English teacher mom and a dad who's a musician.

"My dad is in the music business, and I was always around it," Syd said. "I played the drums when I was in high school and started the acoustic guitar a few years later."

Syd began working on his first major project while still a senior in high school. He applied for a grant for an independent study to record a four-track demo and posted the songs online at MP3.com, which he calls "a good starting place." He began to pick up a following, which was further aided by celebrity endorsements from artists like Rufus Wainwright and They Might Be Giants.

Syd's album, which features Jason Gardner on drums and Tom Bianchi on bass, is a former No. 1 in sales on MP3.com. "Week Days, Weak Knees" has something for everyone, from energetic percussion on "Impossible" to the almost lullaby-like rhythms of "Here's a Love Song" to the feisty guitar work of "Letters."

Syd describes his music as acoustic pop. "It's definitely not folk; it's definitely not rock," he said.

The lyrics are inspired by a combination of life experiences and other songs: "I listen to music all the time -- I like writing about interesting stuff, but end up mostly writing about girls," he admitted with a laugh.

In the coming months and years, Syd plans to become even more serious about music. He is currently studying new media and web design at Emerson, but he said, "School has been relegated to a hobby by now."

Syd's plans for the near future include opening for John Mayer at the Best Buy Nashville River Stages Fest, and putting together a compilation for a Boston homeless shelter. He is going be on tour the next few years, and eventually he wants to become a record producer.