June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Suck It Up

A whimpering attitude has spread faster than pink eye and infected the entire campus. I do not understand this phenomenon. Why do students grumble about every minute aspect of Dartmouth life and slog around campus as if they have been imprisoned in some horrible and unbearable place? After all, we chose to come to this small college in the woods.

Now I know Dartmouth is not perfect; there are some real issues to complain about, such as student-administration relations. It's the chronic minor gripes -- the whines about the trivial -- that I'm talking about.

During my four years at Dartmouth, I've collected a list of some of my favorite minor complaints.

For example, much of the groaning around campus is a result of the weather: "It's too cold! There's too much snow at this school." I admit that it is a losing battle to stay warm and keep clothes salt-free in the winter. But what did you complainers expect when you applied to a school in New Hampshire? Buy some long underwear and a good pair of boots and move on with your life.

I hear the "There's nothing to do in Hanover because we are in the middle of nowhere" grouches every term. When you applied, did you think Hanover was a sprawling metropolis? Instead of sitting around complaining, take advantage of your time here. If outdoor activities aren't your thing, check out the local color in the small 24-hour diners scattered around the Upper Valley or enjoy the novelty of going to a nightclub in rural New Hampshire. Be creative -- searching for new things to do is part of the fun.

My favorite complaint is: "I have SO much work, I can't deal!" To begin with, I'm sure they can deal. These gripers are often competitive about who has more work. The victor believes he holds the moral high ground because he has three more pages to write than his contender.

These students fail to realize that we all have homework. We all study; that is why we are called students. Some of us are just more vocal about workloads than others and should spend more time actually doing work than complaining about it.

The "DDS desserts are too big" whiners astound me. Keep this thought to yourselves and either pass that dessert over to me or give your leftovers to other less calorie-conscious friends.

The "Novack Cafe is never open" grumbles increase in frequency during finals period. If Novack is closed, enjoy the excuse for a study break and go to Thayer for a snack. Or, if you are too lazy or do not want to leave beautiful Berry Library, there are vending machines right next to the cafe.

"People shouldn't talk on cell phones in Dartmouth" protestors are loud and often confrontational. Well, maybe cell phones aren't appropriate in classes, but I've seen an upperclassman yell at some poor '06 for talking on his phone outside of Collis.

Believe it or not, some people outside Dartmouth do not have blitz and students need a way to talk to those outside the Hanover bubble.

Why do students grumble so much?

Life here is bearable; I'm sure all of us can think of infinitely worse situations. Maybe because grouching transfers frustrations, the complainer feels better and everyone else feels worse.

I admit, however, that I am part of the problem. I probably should be doing more worthwhile things than complaining about your complaints.

But you know something? I feel better already.