The Administration Out of Hot Water

The College's welcomed announcement that it will reinstate the swimming and diving programs confirms that Dartmouth students can indeed have a voice in the decisions that guide and shape our college. Though the process was at times far from polite and cooperative, with mutual distrust and misunderstanding hampering efforts to reach a compromise, the end result is one that benefits both students and the administration. Through the funding agreement constructed by students, alumni, parents and College administrators, the swimming and diving teams will continue to exist based on $2 million raised in a furious fundraising effort. We commend the alumni who gave so unselfishly to support the swimming and diving teams; their generosity serves as another example of their endless dedication to the College.

Nonetheless, credit for this decision is due first and foremost to the students who initiated efforts to save the swimming and diving teams. Student participation at all levels -- from organized protests to meetings with the administrators -- was ultimately the impetus for the College's reversal. We also praise the administration for recognizing the importance of the swimming and diving teams to the Dartmouth community and for allowing, albeit belatedly, student input in the decision.

However, the fact that such student outcry was necessary to influence the College in the first place illustrates a disturbing disconnect between students and the administration. The new student budget advisory committee, which was planned prior to the swim team cut announcement, will begin working later this month with administrators to discuss further budget cuts looming later this month. This group must ensure that the solution to the swimming and diving debacle is not an isolated example of students and administrators coming to an agreement, but rather the start of a pattern of working together to achieve positive results. While past experience leaves us skeptical that the administration will be receptive to the committee's opinions and ideas, we are hopeful that it will have a significant voice in future budgetary decisions.