A Call to Duty

To the Editor:

President George W. Bush is on the brink of making decisions that could affect every student in unwanted, even disastrous, ways. Even amidst the pressures of starting a new academic year, it is of critical importance for each of you to make your opinion known to the White House and to your congressional representatives and senators.

As the search for Osama bin Laden became unproductive and the war on terrorism floundered, President Bush changed focus. He introduced and intensified his commitment to remove Saddam Hussein in a "regime change" involving an unprecedented pre-emptive strike. He has criticized those who question his judgment or his authority, including respected members of his father's advisory group and the military leaders of the Gulf War. The only member of the president's "war cabinet" who has had active military experience (Secretary of State Colin Powell) has been the member least in favor of a rush to war.

Expressions of concern about the United States bypassing the UN, the fate of other Middle Eastern countries and plans for the aftermathof a "successful" removal of Hussein remain unanswered. The president has been as vague about such plans as he has been about clear evidence that the U.S. is under serious threat from Iraq now, in the near future or at all.

The rapidly approaching congressional elections are to heating up the political rhetoric on all sides. The president seems ready to act with or without congressional backing, yet he also appears responsive to political influence.

No date has been set, but our forces are massing in the Middle East and in other positions, ready to move. It has been estimated that an invading force as large as 250,000 will be required and that casualties, both civilian and military, will be high -- far greater than those during the Gulf War or the recent actions in Afghanistan. The likelihood of a conflagration in the Middle East is high, along with biological and chemical counter-attacks and a proliferation of terrorist acts on our own soil. As the tragedy of Sept. 11 showed, our nation is as vulnerable as any other.

Students on campus today may feel less concerned than those during the Vietnam War, and may find the euphemism of "regime change" an easy concept to accept. But as the day of decision in Washington comes closer, I ask those who favor war if they are ready to volunteer and report to the nearest recruiting office. I ask those in opposition to speak out and let their senators and representatives in Congress know immediately. Time is short.