Rhetoric and Sacrilege

This balding author couldn't believe his eyes upon reading "The Widow's Answer" on July 18. If anything, the response of Miss Alexander to Mr. Stevenson's rather well written (as are most of his contributions) underscores the argument of the cultural relativists concerning, for lack of a more diplomatic phrasing, the distastefulness of beliefs that seek to assert themselves hegemonically and without regard for the thoughts of others.

While Mr. Stevenson invokes a plea for some form of universal, common understanding in a thoughtful and rational manner, Miss Alexander chides Mr. Stevenson ostensibly for condescending to the audience and ... committing sacrilege? Frankly, I'd rather have an informed discussion with Mr. Stevenson any day - even if religion is to be the subject matter involved - than instead to see, in a public forum, someone utilizing sectarianism to demand silence in the marketplace of intelligent discussion.

Miss Alexander denies the educational merit of Mr. Stevenson's rhetoric and urges us to all shut up and take a lesson from her beliefs. Even this might be an acceptable recommendation; however, as she has falsely accused Mr. Stevenson of making statements without clear conclusions, I for one have a great deal of difficulty gleaning even a modicum of anything sensible from Miss Alexander's short-yet-rambling derision of Mr. Stevenson's wonderful work.

As for Mr. Stevenson, I offer him my hearty praise for his usual insightful work. I'll look forward to seeing more of it on the D's fine Op-Ed page.