Cuban five get students dancing

"Los Fakires" delighted Dartmouth this past Saturday with a performance filled with enchanting Cuban rhythms and unique tropical charm.

The group's leader and saxophonist Jos Bringues greeted the crowd, more than 400 strong, at the BEMA in Spanish and thanked the members for coming out to see a bunch of "ugly, old men."

Their first song was refreshingly upbeat, and the mix of percussion, saxophone, guitar and rich vocals saturated the atmosphere with summery tunes.

Lead singer Martn Chvez, a.k.a. "Cascarita" sang with a crisp clear voice that could easily have passed for the vocal talent of a man twenty years his junior. He revealed his charismatic personality onstage by tipping and turning his hat and gracing the audience with some dance moves as he swayed his hips from side to side during instrumental parts of the songs.

After playing two songs Bringues encouraged the audience to join in the dancing. Audience members promptly responded to the invitation, and a number of people either walked to the front of the BEMA or remained in their spot on the grass to "bailar."

The group had not set an absolute program of songs to play in order to allow themselves the freedom to improvise. Even so, Los Fakires did not miss a note and played their music with a harmony that could only have been achieved from years and years of experience as a group.

Other members of the group performing onstage consisted of guitarist Jos Remie, backup vocals and maraca player Rafael Valdez and percussionist Gilberto Abreu. The group originated over 40 years ago in Santa Clara, Cuba, and still thrives today with legendary status in Cuba and a tour of the United States for the second time in promotion of their self-titled CD.

According to the flyer distributed courtesy of the Hopkins Center at the performance, Los Fakires "bring to life the rich and vibrant sounds of 'son' " a musical tradition that originates from central and western Cuba and combines African and Spanish musical traditions from the 16-18th centuries." It is through their music the band has become regarded by the Cuban population "with reverence and great affection."

Their music certainly possessed a certain attractiveness that none could resist at the performance on Saturday. Almost a third of the audience got up to dance for the vibrant "cha-cha" number that the group played during the second half of their performance.

Adding to the performance's appeal, Bringues played variations of familiar music like "twinkle twinkle" and "here comes the bride" on his saxophone " a creative effect that embellished the festive sense of the group's music.

Right after the intended conclusion of their performance the clamor of the audience urged the quintet to play one more song. "Between the five of us we're six-hundred years old," joked Bringues, "and you're going to wear us out." But the group willingly complied, under the condition that everyone in the audience again get up to dance.

The sentiment of the crowd was quite joyous as they moved their feet in time to the catchy beat of Abreu's percussion. As Los Fakires ended their final song, the dancing transformed into a standing ovation and the group's courteous bows were met with hearty applause.

Clouds had loomed overhead at the start of the performance and hinted at the possibility of rain, but before long sunlight had emerged and warmed the audience; one might say it was an appropriate lighting effect for the Fakires's performance that overwhelmingly lit up the faces of everyone who had attended.