Star Wars!

Week after week I try to write about issues of national or even global importance. Today I will attempt to outdo myself and write a column of intergalactic proportions

A not-so-long time ago, in a town not so far away, a "Star Wars" fan was born. Throughout his life he has collected the action figures, played with the light sabers and memorized the films. For him and many others in his generation, Star Wars will forever be a fixture in popular culture, as well as a continuing source of fun and wonderment.

Of course, the young man to whom I refer is none other than yours truly. To most of you today is May 7, but to me it is T-minus nine days until the premiere of "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones." As of yesterday, the Nugget could not say whether it will be offering a midnight showing or even if it's going to have the film at all, but if it does, rest assured I will have my tickets well in advance. I will not, however, be donning a costume of any kind, nor will I be dueling with other fanatics sporting a toy lightsaber, though I do own several. This, I feel, exempts me from the upper echelon of hard core fans, many of whom give me the creeps. On a scale of one to 10, I put myself at about a seven or an eight, with nine and 10 being reserved with people who run Star Wars web sites, make homemade Star Wars videos and like to dress up as Jedi Knights on a fairly regular basis. Many of you are probably in the two to five range. You're aware that the movie is coming out and you will probably see it, possibly twice. My girlfriend is a one. She hates "Star Wars" and the fact that I love it so much seems to bother her enormously. However, the fact that I have girlfriend at all may be proof that I am not among the most obsessed of fans.

So what makes "Star Wars" so widely loved? More importantly, why does it resonate with me personally? I believe the answer to both questions is the manner in which it deals with good and evil. Most of the saga presents a very clear division between the good characters and the bad ones. I am hard-pressed to think of a successful film that does not, on some level, address this struggle. Indiana Jones has the Nazis, Austin Powers has Dr. Evil and Luke Skywalker and company have Darth Vader and his minions. The story, however, is not overly simplistic in that it allows for some crossover and ambiguity between the warring factions. The central character, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, travels from good to evil and back, and for much of the newest film he dwells in a gray area of sorts. His redemption in the final chapter is only effective because of how menacing he is in the previous films. In the new trilogy, we will see how he fell from grace and became consumed by the power of evil. The concept of a good versus evil battle is more interesting because George Lucas shows us how the main character fluctuates between the two, and how that influences his actions and behavior.

I could go on forever about the philosophy of the "Star Wars" movies, but I would rather just talk about how much fun they are. I had perfect attendance in high school going into May of my senior year, but I did not attend classes on May 19. Instead I was at my local movie theater, catching one of the first showings of "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace." Though the film disappointed many, I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it, save maybe Jar Jar. To those of you turned off by the first prequel, however, fear not. Over the past few months I have learned a bit about what Episode II has in store for us. The trailers, the early reviews, the plot and the action all point toward redemption for George Lucas and his millions of loyal fans. The film has mystery, romance, suspense and horror, recalling the spirit of the first three films, which should leave Episode I as an admirable yet less significant prologue.

Without giving you the story in its entirety let me whet your appetite a little. The movie centers around a conflict between the Jedi and a separatist movement led by an ex-Jedi played by "The Lord of the Rings'" Christopher Lee. In the meantime, Luke and Leia's parents begin their doomed love affair, Obi-Wan Kenobi fights a bounty hunter in a rainstorm, 200 Jedi fight thousands of battledroids in an arena (N'Sync is thankfully not among them) and, oh yeah, we finally get to see why Yoda is the master.

No, Lucasfilm is not compensating me for my endorsement. I just like the films a lot and want others to like them as well. More than just the opening of a movie, the release of a "Star Wars" film is a cultural event. So come out next weekend and see it. We could all use a little culture.