Equestrian: Freeman Heads to Nationals in N.Y.

The Ivy League Championships marked the end of the equestrian team's season last Saturday at Morton Farm. Dartmouth finished fourth overall behind first-place Brown, Cornell and Columbia, who tied for second place.

Although the annual Ivy show is not a part of the regular Intercollegiate Horse Show Association season and riders cannot earn individual points, the show is always a favorite for Dartmouth riders.

"I enjoyed this show, because we got to compete against schools that we don't normally compete against," Annie Trumpold '05 said.

The more relaxed atmosphere resulted in the Dartmouth captains organizing a jumping class for the coaches of each team. Each coach wore a costume and jumped the course on foot or on a horse while holding a cup of water. The event was judged on the amount of water left in the cup and the fashion-style of the rider.

Dartmouth's coach, Sally Batton won this class in an unusual equestrian outfit. Brown's coach, Michaela Scanlon, took second riding the course without a saddle.

"Watching Sally ride in the coach's class wearing a coconut bra was definitely the highlight of the day," Trumpold added.

For Dartmouth, Batton's was not the only success. First-place riders included Sara Irom '02 in open fences, Sara Glazer '04 in open flat, and Larissa Belova '02 and Rebecca Freeman '02 in the beginner walk/trot/canter.

Riders who earned second place were Maren Winnick '02 in open flat, Erin McCarthy '02 in novice fences and Jill Carr '03 in advanced walk/trot/canter.

Each division is divided into several classes of six to eight riders. Ribbons are awarded to the top six riders in each class. In the fence classes, the top six riders from each division are announced. McCarthy was named the reserve champion in novice fences.

In the flat classes, the top riders from each class participate in a championship class at the end of the day. Belova earned reserve champion honors in the walk/trot/canter championship.

This show ended a hard-fought season. "Although our year-end placings were disappointing, the equestrian team had an extremely strong showing all year with a little bit of bad luck thrown in. I'm proud to be part of such a strong, cohesive team with so many talented individuals," captain Sara Irom said.

Although the season is over for most of the team, Freeman qualified for nationals by placing second in the walk/trot division at Zones.

"Going to Nationals was completely unexpected," Freeman said. "I am of course pleased, and I have Sally and the support of the whole team to thank. Just to have made it through the regular season, then regionals [and] then zones has been very exciting."

Freeman, after recovering from a back injury last summer, has become only the second rider to compete at nationals under Batton. She will compete against the top 16 walk/trot riders in the nation this weekend in Cazenovia, N.Y.