Defending Our Rights

As a young idealistic student, I've heard and been told not only that activism is useless and in vain and that true civics is a concept from the past, but that today's students are also apathetic. Well, I don't buy it. I am taking back my youthful power and encouraging you to do the same. The "American way of life" -- ensuring our right to question, receive answers, disagree, petition and be represented by those who have our interests in mind -- should not be for sale.

After a brief trip to my home state of New Jersey to hear one of my personal heroes, Ralph Nader, speak, I was reminded of a series of columns from last term, concerning student apathy at Dartmouth, and I felt compelled to address and challenge this issue. While still high on my inspiration from Nader, I want to stress that I am not writing this as a representative from the Green Party USA (or any political party for that matter) nor from any group on campus. I am writing as one of the privileged few who can call herself not only a college student, but an American and be whole-hearted, proud and invigorated.

Nader spoke of a personal power that I believe transcends party lines. Politics and activism have been ground down and "dirtied," and many who would or could be aiding others are turned away by a sour taste. Nader reminded the group that our officials and representatives (including Bush and Gore) are "better than their speeches" -- that they could be better than we expect, but we no longer hold them to a high standard. When we think "Why vote? I have no control anyway," or see politics as drama, scandal and indictments, we are taking control from our own hands and giving it away to those who have their own interests in mind. As Nader reminded us, when we allow others to control our standards, we are allowing them to control us.

It seems difficult to do anything or see hope when the problems seem so large and distant. But you can still get educated about and involved in something for which you care very deeply. Here, at one of the greatest academic institutions, there is no excuse for ignorance. Talk with your friends and peers about non-trivial matters -- conversations with close friends and fellow students can involve more than just your schedule or what party is tonight. Call, write letters and meet with your local representatives -- they are representing you, and they don't know what their constituents want unless you tell them, and if you don't tell them, someone else will. In fact, one of my local New Jersey representatives explained to me that every phone call here is counted as 100 non-calling voters who tacitly feel the same way -- one call can mean a lot! Use local and campus publications to express an opinion or address an issue or vision. Listen, even to people with whom you feel you disagree. All in all, don't be bogged down by size -- become more fundamental in your approaches to issues; control the problem, not the symptoms. And most importantly, don't become discouraged and demoralized by labeling or past failure -- let it be motivation. Yes, there has and always will be apathy here and elsewhere, but you don't have to be a part of it -- it's a personal, individual decision.

Perhaps this is common sense. But being surrounded by 70 New Jersey residents of all ages who cheered and clapped at the mere mention of words such as "justice," "daily democracy," "American" and "citizen" made me realize that having this level of enthusiasm over the basic rights of Americans is entirely too uncommon. We need to take inventory of our lives and priorities. If we are to prove that we are not the apathetic "me" generation, we need to stop using the rhetoric of "defending our rights as Americans" and begin actively to make use of the glorious and inspiring rights on which our citizenry is based. How privileged are we to be allowed to disagree? To ask questions and demand answers? To assemble? Trial by our peers? And how much do we appreciate and use our rights? While there are those who feed on our complacency, who want to set our standards and would gladly allow us to sell them our freedoms and our actions, who demoralize us in our own apathy -- to them I stand and say, "I won't buy it. My citizenship, myself and my future are not for sale." I hope you do the same.