Misrecognition

When Zeta Psi fraternity was officially derecognized in May of 2001, the College played its trump card. No penalty could be stronger than derecognition. "As of today, Zeta Psi fraternity at Dartmouth no longer exists," Dean of the College James Larimore said at the time. Zeta Psi would be a tombstone to remind other Greek houses that such conduct would not be permitted. The house was effectively dead.

Yet Zeta Psi continues to exist, proving that a Greek organization can function without the support of the College. Zeta Psi survives in part due to strong alumni ties, continuing national recognition from Zeta Psi Fraternity of North America, Inc. and social recognition from students on campus. So far, the house has not been impeded by the Hanover law that prohibits more than three unrelated people from living in the same house, which is supposedly the ordinance that makes derecognition more than an empty gesture.

This year, Zeta Psi has recruited a pledge class of seven members, all freshmen, a number that exceeds the totals of some officially recognized houses. Zeta Psi now has the freedom to choose its own rules: it no longer has to adhere to the College laws regarding minimum standards; Safety and Security will not conduct walkthroughs; and it can have permanent bars with taps.

The lack of accountability that provides certain advantages to those living outside the Dartmouth community also presents serious danger. Financial strains on the fraternity can lead to health hazards in the physical plant of the house. Students who go to Zeta Psi will not have the protection of Safety and Security if the need for medical attention should arise, which is not an unlikely possibility when alcohol is present.

Derecognition has not destroyed Zeta Psi. The College has exhausted its last disciplinary option without the promised results. Administrators need to recognize that the Greek system possesses far greater institutional power than they would like to admit.