The Real Islam

Who so ever kills an (innocent) human

being, for other than manslaughter or corruption in the earth, it shall be as if he has killed all mankind, and who so ever saves the life of one, it shall be as if he had saved the life of all mankind"

-- The Holy Quran: Al -- Ma'dah Verse:32)

The Quoted Verse from the Holy Quran (believed to be the perfect and last of a number of heavenly revelations, according to Muslims) is witness to the faith of tolerance, respect and peace -- the faith which I amongst many Muslims, both at Dartmouth and around the world adhere to. Islam upholds the belief in the Oneness of God, and in Muhammad as being the last of a line of Prophets that include Moses and Jesus. It is a faith that clearly holds human life in the greatest esteem.

Any attack against innocent human beings is considered a grave sin in the Quran. As such, as a Muslim and furthermore a human being, I am horrified by the events of the 11th of September and join the world in condemning them. My condolences go out to those who have been affected by these tragedies -- Christians, Muslims and Jews. My prayers go out to those who were injured and more so for the good health of the diverse communities that make up this nation, and the community of peoples across this globe.

Islam does not permit the killing of innocent people; suicide is not permitted under any means. A promise of hellfire in the Quran warns Muslims of the results of such actions. If any injustice is being perpetrated against innocent civilians, it is the duty of a Muslim to attempt to stop those who are advocating it.

In the aftermath of these events, some commentators and newspersons can be accredited with a false portrayal of the faith. For one, it has been indicated that Islam is "militaristic." This view has been justified by callously throwing in the word "Jihad."

What exactly does "Jihad" mean? Jihad is an Arabic word used to describe a struggle. To do your utmost in any activity that involves you, be it everyday chores or even defending oneself, is considered to be an inner struggle or a Jihad. Holy Wars have been defined by the Crusades and Colonialism, not by Islam.

A number of commentators have stated that Muslims around the world have a hatred for American culture. I take exception to this, citing the Rev. Jerry Falwell and other right wing Christian groups in America who, in response to the attacks, immediately pointed the finger and blamed certain sections of American society for the tragedy. Mr. Falwell is a person who does have a hatred for American culture.

I must point out that the Muslim Ummah (the global Muslim community) stands united in its condemnation of America's policies in the Middle East. America's absolute support for Israel, and the hapless situation of the Palestinians has resulted in an outcry from Muslims around the world. Recently in an interview on BBC, General Sir John Akehurst, former NATO deputy commander, stated that the atmosphere in which people have lived (regarding the plight of the Palestinians and the bombing of Iraq) has given rise to extreme fanatical feeling in the Middle East and parts of the Muslim world. He also believes that the West provides the oxygen for the fire. His solution is to simply cut off that oxygen supply. Muslim peoples from Macedonia to Kashmir and from Chechnya to Somalia have feelings of injustice and pain.

These myths and false portrayals of Islam and Muslims have resulted in a backlash across the country, involving numerous hate incidents. It is unfortunate that in this time of sorrow, fellow Americans -- be they of Arab or Muslim descent -- are humiliated. When schoolgirls in Northern Ireland are terrified and hounded by people who are Protestant, I do not have any feeling of hatred toward Protestants. It would not be logical to hold an entire community or even a religion responsible for the actions of a few madmen.

I would like to take a moment to thank all those organizations, both on and off campus, who have expressed their solidarity with the Muslim community. As American Muslims, not only do we mourn the losses inflicted by these events, but we too feel the pain of being looked upon as though we were responsible for it.