'05 Freshman Issue

Welcome to Dartmouth. Welcome to this wonderful place at the pinnacle of academia, culture and natural beauty.

The purpose of this issue is to better acquaint you with the College -- its people, places and traditions -- and answer some of those lingering questions you might have. After reading it (cover to cover as this is the ultimate guide to Dartmouth abridged), we hope you will be more psyched than ever to descend upon the Hanover plain.

Dartmouth is unique in so many ways that only those immersed in life at the "College on the Hill" truly see its majesty. Congratulations on being one of the chosen few who have the opportunity to experience Dartmouth.

One of the best parts of the College is the sense of belonging that begins as a freshman. The day you set foot on campus, you are integrated into the community. You are an equal member of this institution.

With this in mind, take advantage of all that interests you. Don't be afraid of being the only '05 in a class or at a meeting. If you are remotely curious about an activity, try it. It doesn't matter what you did in high school. You now have the chance to broaden your horizons or solidify what you already love.

For, it is how you spend your time here that makes Dartmouth your home. Honestly, there is no single defining Dartmouth characteristic, except being part of a spirit larger than any individual. And it is indeed a special moment when you realize that coming back to campus means that you are coming home.

We feel lucky just to have you here. We look forward to the contributions you will make, the traditions you will create and the legacies you will leave behind.

As our Sophomore Summer is already almost over, it seems that each term goes by exponentially faster than the one before. So, revel in every moment you have here.

We wish you the best of luck.

-- The Summer Editorial Board

Tripp Blum, Alan Cheng, Shevani Jaisingh, Kathleen McDermott, Will Meland, Rachel Osterman, Ithan Peltan, Jeremy Skog and Jennifer Thomas