These Hallowed Pages

To the Editor:

As I often check out The Dartmouth online while working off campus this summer, I was shocked and dismayed to see the column "Pin Prick," written by Adam Small '04.

You really need some new voices. To open the pulpit of our nation's oldest college newspaper up to the campus should inspire pieces with high writing ability, analytical merit, or at least the ability to touch a segment of the Dartmouth population. Anyone with a pen, a keyboard, or a smirk should not be allowed to just barge on to these hallowed pages.

"Pin Prick" is lacking in content, unsuccessful in humor, and pitifully whiny in its jealousy. Other authors have tried to sum up 80 years of frustration of being Red Sox fans, who have had difficulty recently displaying their pride for a top-notch ballclub that cannot escape their second-place or runner-up status, and have artistically conjured up noble images of Pedro Martinez and Nomar Garciaparra. Small decides not to see reason or accept fate for the one Red Sox player on the All Star team, but to employ the tactic frequent on the back streets of Boston: bashing the Yankees and their manager, Joe Torre.

Let's keep The Dartmouth's spout aimed at enrichment, insight, and ideals ... and if Red Sox fans want to cry at the Yankee supremacy of the past century, let them do it on their own time. On their own pages.