Windscape to play a range of music from Roaring 20s

Windscape, an innovative quintet of established woodwind soloists, brings their interpretations of a wide array of 20th century works from the Manhattan School of Music to Spaulding Auditorium tomorrow at 8 p.m.

The quintet's play, considered "breathtaking virtuosity" by The Miami Herald, is an ensemble-in-residence at the Manhattan School of Music and has performed a precise and captivating musical treat for audiences across the country. They also recently completed a six concert debut tour in New Zealand.

Composed of Marya Martin on flute, Stephen Taylor on oboe, Alan Kay on clarinet, Frank Morelli on bassoon and David Jolley on horn, the group is currently touring behind their debut recording, "The Roaring 20's."

"The Roaring 20's" is Windscape's delightful commentary on the character and influences that contributed to a decade of such triumph and travail.

The selection on the CD, a compilation from their most popular program, attempts to draw in artists of the era from around the world. Louis Armstrong's "Yes, I'm In the Barrel" is followed by Stravinsky and Weill's songs from "The Threepenny Opera." Selections by Villa-Lobos and Gershwin can also be heard.

Listening to the artists' arrangements, the dabbling of the oboe, light flute play and comfortable backdrop of the bassoon in a sound that ranges from contemplative and smooth to accelerated and explorative, displays the meandering interplay of these proficient artists.

The arrangements, seeing contributions from Jolley, Kay, Morelli and Martin, bring the wind sounds and airy nature of chamber music to the depth and spontaneity of American Jazz.

At times sounding like a classical music concert, Windscape's selection of 20th century features are capsules of music, short presentations of their virtuosity rarely reflecting the long-winded and methodical buildup of a symphony.

As for the musicians, Martin, a New Zealand-born flutist, has been well recognized since her solo debut at Washington D.C.'s Kennedy Center. She has since been recognized by the prestigious Young Concert Artists International Auditions, the Naumberg Competition, the Munich International Competition and the Jean-Pierre Rampal International Competition.

Oboist Taylor is a member of the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center and the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra among others. Taylor has found great interest in contemporary music and has worked as a solo oboist premiering dozens of new works, many written for him. He has more than 100 recordings to his credit.

Kay, clarinetist and winner of the 1981 Julliard Clarinet Competition, is currently principal of New York City's Riverside Symphony. Kay is also a founding member of the Young Concert Artists award-winning piano and wind sextet, Hexagon.

Jolley recently gave the world premiere of Ellen Taaffe Zwilich's "Concerto for Horn" with the Rochester Philharmonic, and the New York premiere at Carnegie Hall with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra.

Morelli holds the distinction of being the first bassoonist to be awarded a doctorate by the Juilliard School. With over 100 recordings, Morelli has appeared with the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center.